which crook knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davep90

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2006
wigan
I was going to buy a frosts crook knife yesterday but then reralised that there are 3? different ones.
which one is the best for a first go at spoon/bowl making.
The one I was looking at was the single edge version but I cant help thinking that the double edge version would be more versatile, having said that I then thought that maybe the single edge one would allow a bit of pressure to be applied to the back of the blade.
Also where is the best place to buy? I know there are a few on evilbay.
cheers
Dave

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
davep90 said:
I was going to buy a frosts crook knife yesterday but then reralised that there are 3? different ones.
which one is the best for a first go at spoon/bowl making.
The one I was looking at was the single edge version but I cant help thinking that the double edge version would be more versatile, having said that I then thought that maybe the single edge one would allow a bit of pressure to be applied to the back of the blade.
Also where is the best place to buy? I know there are a few on evilbay.
cheers
Dave

I have just bought a right handed, single edge Frosts crook knife of Ebay for £11 + £1.40P&P.

Until you have a bit more experience I would just stick to the single edge knife if I was you, but I'm not you, so its your decision!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I thought just like Greg.

Wish I'd bought the double edged now. You don't tend to touch the back of the blade but there are times when (whichever "lead hand" you favour) it would be handy to flip it over and use the other way round (when carving the other side of the bowl)

Entirely your call though

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
British Red said:
I thought just like Greg.

Wish I'd bought the double edged now. You don't tend to touch the back of the blade but there are times when (whichever "lead hand" you favour) it would be handy to flip it over and use the other way round (when carving the other side of the bowl)

Entirely your call though

Red

Ah! I never thought of that, good point!:)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The best shape/style? Hard to guess. Each person has their own preferences and methods of working. Trial and error will quickly show.

There is a much less expensive alternative crook knife available to "learn" with. It's the Hoof Knife used with horses. Go to any farm supply store that carries horse gear/tack. They should have a Hoof Knife available, and usually pretty inexpensive.

The blade tends to be hooked back pretty far - almost like a U, and the blade should be fairly short - around 3 to 4 inches. For under $10 usd, you can have a good user crook knife to experiment with - using and sharpening. Once you have some experience with one, then look around at the others available.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mike Ameling said:
The best shape/style? Hard to guess. Each person has their own preferences and methods of working. Trial and error will quickly show.

There is a much less expensive alternative crook knife available to "learn" with. It's the Hoof Knife used with horses. Go to any farm supply store that carries horse gear/tack. They should have a Hoof Knife available, and usually pretty inexpensive.

The blade tends to be hooked back pretty far - almost like a U, and the blade should be fairly short - around 3 to 4 inches. For under $10 usd, you can have a good user crook knife to experiment with - using and sharpening. Once you have some experience with one, then look around at the others available.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

I shall goto the equestrian shop down the road from me and ask about one of these, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE