Which crook knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
This is my first post on this forum so, hi everyone.

Im half way through making my first spoon, like in Ray Mears bushcraft book.
So far I've just been using my Grandford axe and my folding pocket knife but I've got to the stage were I need to start carving out the boll. So I've started looking at buying a crook knife but I've found at least three different kinds of crook knife on the internet, so i was wondering which one would be best for me.

There is the one I've seen on Ray Miers web site, with a strate blade with a curved end.

A nuther one with a fully curved blade like a hook, I've also seen called a spoon knife.

And a nuther one called a Indian crook knife that has a slite curve to the blade all the way along its length.

So I was wondering what the different kinds are used for and which kind would be best for general bushcrafty type carving making spoons, bolls and things. I'd imagine its the one Ray uses but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would have put some pitchers up but I haven't worked out how to do attachments on this forum yet. So i hope you can understand my descriptions :)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hi WhichDoctor what you want for spoons and the like is one of these a single bladed hook knife i dont like the double sided ones as you carnt put pressure with your finger on the back of the blade the indian crook knives and crook knives are great for big carving jobs but for spoons and bowls and the like the hook knife is the bunny

while your here why dont you say hello in the intros and welcome forum and tell us a little more about your self good to have you on bcuk welcome

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Hi WhichDoctor,

I've got the Frost's but it is just like the picture on the Axminister site.

When you get one you'll be faced with the problem of keeping it sharp. The outside of the blade can be done on a stone but doing the inside (the flat side) is a bit more of a problem.

I use a bit of good 800 grade emery cloth on a 1/2" dowel.

Have fun,
David

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Hi, welcome to the forum.

There is a shop in Leominster called Survive and Thrive, he sells crook knives. The Mora ones. I have one and it is fine, I also have a S Djarv spoon knife (its is the same one Mr Mears uses) it is excellent.

I got is mail order from the Weald and Downland Museum.

Where abouts in Shropshire are you.

Stewey. :D

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
sorry this has taken a while, I've bean floored by a cold.

Anyway wow thanks guys grate stuff i'm specially interested by that shop in Leominster i live in Shrewsbury. its not that far way and an easy rout just down the A49 all the way, I mite think of having a trip down there. That Weald and Downland Museum looks fascinating as-well from the web site, I've never herd of it before. So thanks again everyone :)

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I've finally got round to buying a hook-knife from Axminster Tools, It's grate thanks for the advice jdlenton :D . I only got it last week and I've nearly finished my spoon, it's a grate tool, I'll try and post a pic when I work out how to do attachments.
Many thanks for all the help everyone :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE