Which Bivi for me??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WelshMarauder

Mar 4, 2012
Wet West Wales
Well after much deliberation over Bivi/Basha or Hammock/Tarp I have finally decided on the Bivi option because I think it would be easier to pitch a Basha and/or Bivi on the side of a hill in the Brecon Beacons than a Hammock.

I've found 3 different Bivis for sale: Jack Pike English Oak Bivi (New), Rab Storm Bivi OG (New) or British Army Bivi (Surplus Grade 1). But which one :confused: Price isn't the problem as all of them are around the same, so what I need is some suggestions/recommendations from anyone with experience of using any/all of these Bivis in a range of weather and terrain, to help me to decide on my purchase.

Thanks, Welshy

patrols

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
cornwall
I have a Rab bivvi and an Army issue bivi so I can comment on those but no experence of the Jack Pike bivi,For occasional use the Rab storm are ok but need more care as to what you lay it on I always use an old Basha folded in half and pegged out to lay it on.
But if you intend in using the bivi bag for more than a few nights a year I would go for the Army issue bivi bag they are built for long term usage and will take more abuse and are simpler to repair when you get the odd ember land on it.
The trade off is weight the Rab bivi is much lighter to carry and takes up less room in your Bergen.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The army bivvy holds up well to messing about in the woods etc, I'd go for the lighter fabrics if you were in more open areas with less chance of a puncture.

Folk describe the army stuff as bombproof, I've never served but the bits I have owned have been durable and long lasting. You're looking at around 1kg for the UK army issue MVP/Goretex bag, anything from £15-40 for a surplus model depending on condition.

Other forces have similar products too, the Dutch and US bivvies are both worth a look.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i first got an army bivi bag back in 1996 when i first joined up, i just replaced it this year as the seam tape/glue has gone, it could be fixed but new issue is coming in anyway....

what im saying is, bomb proof is not the half of it.....:)

regards.

chris.

WelshMarauder

Mar 4, 2012
Wet West Wales
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like the Army Issue is the winner, and for £30 delivered seems like a good buy...will update when it arrives (just ordered it) :)

Andy BB: Yeh I did take a long look at the DD Travel, but didn't know how it would stand up to being used regularly as a Bivi.....and I just like the idea of roughing it, but a hammock is a definite for the future.

Chris, Shewie, Patrols: Thanks for the recommendations, and too be honest you just confirmed what I think I already knew, just needed a push!!

Cheers, Welshy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
nay probs dude, they are a bit heavy and bulkey as is most mil kit, but very very tough long and hard wearing...:)

dont forget the pics when you take her out...;)

regards.

chris.

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Avoid the Alpkit one,its lined with some shiny,slippy stuff the result is any slight movement then sleeping bag & bivvy skew.
Upon waking the head/face opening will be at the back of your head.lol
mat,bag & alpkit bivvy = a night fighting your kit.

Bl00dy awful bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE