Which belt and pouches for cold weather belt order?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've just used my ribz for the first time out in the peak district, the pouches are very light and excellent for stowing little bits and a map, not sure they will take much weight without failing, but i was impressed, however the straps were pants, so i'm thinking of attaching them to a mesh vest instead.
What about a Ribz mate?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
There are several "problems" with your gear in cold weather. Water freezes and batteries, torch, notepad, gps are drained of their energy real fast. So you'd have to carrie these items warm; on your body.
And why 2x zippos AND fuel? If you'd top them up, you'd be good to go for a while.

So you would end up with a much smaller pouch than anticipated.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
There are several "problems" with your gear in cold weather. Water freezes and batteries, torch, notepad, gps are drained of their energy real fast. So you'd have to carrie these items warm; on your body.
And why 2x zippos AND fuel? If you'd top them up, you'd be good to go for a while.

So you would end up with a much smaller pouch than anticipated.

My notepad doesn't have batteries, it has a pencil.

I only carry 2 Zippos because I have a further 2 in my rucksack. I can quite easily use all the fuel in a 'fresh' Zippo to light a fire. It's also quite easy to drop one in the snow (in more ways than one!). Also a small flask of fuel is good for emergency fire lighting.

Last edited:

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
HI

I am have been thinking the same.

My thoughts are:

1) Snugpak Response- I have one and love it.
2) 5.11 Tactical vest/Rohan Vest- can be worn in summer to!
3) Small grab bag e.g Blackhawk do a junior etc

A quick look on ebay brings all of the above up!

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
HI

I am have been thinking the same.

My thoughts are:

1) Snugpak Response- I have one and love it. Some people had them in Norway and hated them.
2) 5.11 Tactical vest/Rohan Vest- can be worn in summer to! I'd need a vest to fit over 1 layer, 3 layers or perhaps 5 layers including a down jacket and an arctic parka.
3) Small grab bag e.g Blackhawk do a junior etc You can forget a grab bag, hard to forget your belt. Also a PITA when used with a rucksack.

A quick look on ebay brings all of the above up!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Another option might be an easily adjusted belt and a couple of pouches... Say a roll pin type belt and a couple of old PLCE water bottle pouches... I'd look for nylon fabric pouches as they'll absorb less water if subjected to melting snow etc and will dry more quickly and weigh less than the older canvas based stuff.
John

Rollpin and separate pouches are what I use. It has the advantage of you can take off or add the right amount of pouches you need at the time.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I'm more of a 'one pouch - one function' type of a guy than a 'cram everything into a bumbag' person.

Also, my days wearing military style belt order or photographer's vests are long gone and best forgotten.

It could be a rollpin type belt with black Utility pouch/es or lot of smaller silva compass type pouches for your one pouch one item of kit. Except obviously for a 500ml waterbottle

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
U need an arctic fisherman vest made by jrc now the reason I say this it is design with the idea that it has
To change sizes due to layers and the way it does this is through expanding zips I.e u unzip what looks like a zip that looks like a pocket bits not its a expander panel that folds in on its self

Now the only down side is decent jrc one will set u back 200 of the finest queens beer tokens

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I'd prefer a small man bag, something like the MaxP Versipack? Easy to take on and off, fastens to a belt for extra security, plenty of pockets including a water bottle compartment, secure zippered pockets so things don't get lost, reasonably weatherproof, a long enough shoulder strap that it can be swung round the back and fastened to a pack easily.

Having all that crap hanging on a belt would do my head in.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Woodlore pouch someone mentioned earlier may fit the bill.

Here is a picture of a couple sitting beside some other recognisable doodads for scale.

They also produce a posh version of the same pouch with a bit more leather on it (link) and a very fine leather pouch which should take all the bits you list other than the WB and sunglasses. (link)

These certainly aren't 'military' looking and are very well made.

Alternatively, make your own or ask someone here to do so. :)

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I think I'd prefer a small man bag, something like the MaxP Versipack? Easy to take on and off, fastens to a belt for extra security, plenty of pockets including a water bottle compartment, secure zippered pockets so things don't get lost, reasonably weatherproof, a long enough shoulder strap that it can be swung round the back and fastened to a pack easily.

Having all that crap hanging on a belt would do my head in.

Its the other way round with me. Dont like man bags swinging when bending, climbing. Like a tight fitting belt and butt pack or pouches.

My pouches are non military Black. Sometimes worn under my smock or waterproof. The amount of times i have seen people look and think I am not carrying any equipment hillwalking, when all the kit is under my coat.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Its the other way round with me. Dont like man bags swinging when bending, climbing. Like a tight fitting belt and butt pack or pouches.

carry it high and tight (just under the ribs) like to old scouts/longhunters - wont budge an inch even on the hop

failing that try the runners rig on hillpeoplegear.com

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE