Which basha/tarp should i get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
From talking to others the DD 3x3 seems pretty popular, but is also a bit pricey compared to the ex army ones you can pick up. Is it worth the extra money, or what tarp do you use?

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I use a UKMCPRO 3x3 but saving up for a DD 4x4.
Depends on what you use it for, if you Hammock you will find the 3x3 only just covers your hammock and in heavy rain you get some wet blowing under the tarp and soaking your gear.
If you just ground dwell/bivi a 3x3 would be ideal.
The army ones are smaller and much heavier than a 3x3, good if you want a small tarp but not if you need something bigger.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
From talking to others the DD 3x3 seems pretty popular, but is also a bit pricey compared to the ex army ones you can pick up. Is it worth the extra money, or what tarp do you use?

I have more or less all of them, sometimes two of the ones I like. The one I use most as a basha is the issue thing that can also be used as a stretcher. It's a lot tougher than the DD fabric, and a bit more resistant to sparks, but the size is modest and if you're not used to living under a small shelter you might want to try a few out before you throw your money around. Having said that it's not a lot of money. No, I don't really think the DD offering is worth the extra money but (1) I'm a bit tight-fisted that way and (2) I do have two DD tarps and a DD hammock.

I tend to use my larger tarps (DD, Jack Wolfskin, Aldi, etc) to make extra space if I camp with a tent. They make a lot of living space very quickly and easily and there's flexibility - partly because I have a lot of tents too, so I can ring the changes.

As already mentioned the issue shelter is a heavy thing though, and only you can decide about that.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

I don't personally see the fascination with the DD 3x3. I think it might be as I don't use a hammock.

I have a British army basha, which is very nice, very flexible, but weights 1.1 tons... erm, maybe that's kg's... either way it's heavy.

I am seeking out a camo tarp that is sub 500g for use in lowland areas. I have my eye on a couple, just awaiting payday.

I think the question that has to be asked is this: what do you want to use the tarp for?

Julia

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
"I don't personally see the fascination with the DD 3x3. I think it might be as I don't use a hammock."

My DD 3x3 setup.Shelter build 017.jpg Heres another. Shelter build 024.jpg And yet another.colin 006.jpgcolin 007.jpg

A tarp is so much more than a hammock shelter.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oh, I completely agree that a tarp is more than a hammock shelter. I just don't understand why everyone loves the DD 3x3 so much. This may be due to my use case not being what the DD was designed for.

Julia

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
You simply get a lot for your money. There are many good tarps on the market, But it is hard to beat the DD for weight, size, versatility, cost, and suspension points. Two more suspension points and it would be perfect, IMHO. :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You simply get a lot for your money. There are many good tarps on the market, But it is hard to beat the DD for weight, size, versatility, cost, and suspension points. Two more suspension points and it would be perfect, IMHO. :)

The question is, why does the tarp need to be that big? I can understand it in some hammock situations, tho as others have said in substantial rain even the 3x3 isn't big enough. If I'm not in a hammock, why do I need a tarp that is 3m x 3m? The Alpkit Rig 3.5 is 1/3rd the weight of the dd 3x3.

Julia

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Thing I like best with the DD is the ability to turn it into a full enclosed 3 sided pyramid with a load of room. It has more useable pitching options than the basha, though I tend to use my basha more despite the weight for some unknown reason.

I reckon buy both, have options. :D

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The question is, why does the tarp need to be that big? I can understand it in some hammock situations, tho as others have said in substantial rain even the 3x3 isn't big enough. If I'm not in a hammock, why do I need a tarp that is 3m x 3m? The Alpkit Rig 3.5 is 1/3rd the weight of the dd 3x3.

Julia

Tarp size
Myself I don’t like diamond tarps.. ok in the summer but in the winter give very little protection to things on the ground, they cannot be lowered to the ground to stop the airflow under them, if the rain is falling at an angle /getting blown, then anything on the ground will get wet...this leads me to say square or rectangle,

Size wise I have 3x3, 4x4, 4.5 x 3, and 4ish x 2ish (poncho Tarp)..

The 3x3 in my opinion is short for hammocking in the winter/rain unless you use it as a diamond.. But for me the reasons above count it out,

I find the 4.5 x 3 a bit too long you have to pick your trees well.. also if you take the tarp to ground the 3 meter lives you a low ridge, myself I find this a pain as I have to stoop under it...this I also find with the 3x3,

I have used the 4 x 4 quite a lot find it has plenty of room you can comfortably burrito the ends in to form doors and have loads of room, the ridge is also at a nice height for me and does not restrict movement under the Tarp.. the amount of room also give you loads of admin space it weather is a bit fowl, that also means that of your 6" and have a 50" chest you got comfort as well, and your not scrambling round in something thats too low...if you have not got a communal shelter....The only thing I would say is the 4x4 can be a bit of a sail in V high winds... and can billow in.. I have not found this yet, but some have.

The smaller poncho type for me is just for warm sunny times...oh and of course Boonie weekends..lol

I like the DD's, and have had no problems with them..they have external ridge line loops..and the tarp hangs under them, with a ridge line that runs under the tarp, but that could lead to rain running down the ridge line, under the tarp and dripping inside the tarp on to whatever’s under it... if your hammocking , in to your sleeping kit...., yes you have hanging possibility’s of things , but just add an extra internal ridge line,

So to me the 4 x4 is the best size for my needs...hope my thoughts help

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think it's important to say what you need it to to do for you. I'm a DD fan for hammocking, as it stretches really well on the diagonal.

IMG_0838.jpg

ff458a7e.jpg

Here's a link to a decent ground set-up:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113632

They pack well, are decently priced, so unless you're going ultralight I'd recommend them.

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I use a small light weight basha with my hammock think its a webtex I had it for about five years now.its way lighter than the dd 3x3 and packs down a hell of a lot smaller.ive never been wet swinging under it once n that's been in some pretty stormy nights.i am 5ft7 though and I think that makes a difference.if your planning on using a small basha with a hammock yer need get your rigging up down too a tee.yer could fire bullets at mine n they'd ping off

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Hmm, the mixed opinions are pretty interesting.

I think the question that has to be asked is this: what do you want to use the tarp for?

Julia

Camping, mainly as a basha in a lightweight set (i hate hauling tents around when i'm on foot). Although i was thinking of experimenting with hammocks somewhere down the line, i'm comfortable with just a basha/tarp and a roll mat for my sleeping bag.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hmm, the mixed opinions are pretty interesting.

Camping, mainly as a basha in a lightweight set (i hate hauling tents around when i'm on foot). Although i was thinking of experimenting with hammocks somewhere down the line, i'm comfortable with just a basha/tarp and a roll mat for my sleeping bag.

As I have said many times, ask 5 bushcrafters to recommend a piece of kit, you will get 8 answers...

If camo isn't a requirement, currently I think the best weight/price/size offering at the moment is the Alpkit Rig 3.5.

Julia

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I am not sure you can really compare the basha with the 3x3 DD tarp. The basha is often one of the first things you get hold of in bushcraft because so many are available on ebay and in boot sales for not much money. They are hard wearing and a great intro into using tarps. They are not however the best choice for sleeping under when using a hammock especially if you are tall. I found that mine really did not give enough cover. The DD on the other hand can cover pretty much all tasks thrown at it. Tatonka seem to make a well regarded 3x3 tarp too, but you don't seem to hear so much about them.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
As I have said many times, ask 5 bushcrafters to recommend a piece of kit, you will get 8 answers...

If camo isn't a requirement, currently I think the best weight/price/size offering at the moment is the Alpkit Rig 3.5.

Julia

Had a look on their site, and both the tarp and the bivi bag seem great for weight/price/quality that they offer. Unfortunately they're out of both in kelp, and fire engine red just doesn't do it for me in camping gear. :p

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Had a look on their site, and both the tarp and the bivi bag seem great for weight/price/quality that they offer. Unfortunately they're out of both in kelp, and fire engine red just doesn't do it for me in camping gear. :p

Yep, keep an eye on the site, they should get stock in soon.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE