Which axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
I'm after buying a decent axe in the near future, a small hatchet type thing. I've heard great things about Gransfors and the like but theyre a bit pricey, can anyone suggest something more reasonably priced buy still quality made, my B&Q jobby won't keep an edge and isn't quite up to any serious bushcraftery. I suppose I'm after the axe equivalent of a Frost's Mora.
Thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm Wetterlings do some reasonable axes. If money is tight you could do worse than one of them. There are two ranges - the forge finish and the cheaper machine finish versions. I'll look one out for you with a link

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could do worse than this @ £20

773600.jpg

http://www.attacc.com/scripts/sh000...cessories_Explorer.html#a77_2d3600#a77_2d3600

I'd be tempted to wait for ahving around £30 for a forged finish wetterlings or £40 for a GB but the little wett pictured is a fine axe and will do solid work

Red

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
You won't go far wrong with one of the wilkinson sword/fiscars hatchets as mentioned last week by Switch. You can get them from the gardening section in Homebase (at £14.99).
After reading Switchs thread, i had a go myself and, after only an afternoon of cutting, polishing and honing, i now have a supurb hatchet that is complements my Roselli. (The Roselli is very thick, so good for splitting and felling but not so good for carving, the Switch axe is great for carving and does a damn good job at all the other things).
Baggins

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Mmmm. I wouldn't buy from that source if that was the last place on God's green Earth selling axes.
But that's just me.

I've not delt with these people myself (perhaps i should have said).

As Lurch appears to know something about them that i don't, perhaps another dealer would be a better option.

Anyone got any other sources? Preferably ones they have delt with:eek:

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
Ah, apparently axes are cheaper than I thought, I'm tempted by a forged wetterlings at 40-ish pounds, I just wasnt willing to pay over 50 as unfortunately I don't get enough bushcrafting done to justify the cost.
Thanks so far everyone.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a number of Wetterlings and GB (and Cegga, Reeves, Roselli etc.). A few points

The Wetterlings is a good axe, but the finish on the grind is not as good as a GB. So, if you are confident at re-finishing an axe, the Wetterlings is a good buy

If not pay a few quid more for the equivalent Gransfors.

As said Cegga axes are better than both but rare - he is back from his hols so I should have another batch of Hunters soon - however its probably worth getting something easier to obtain for a first axe

If you can - handle the axes first - at least half a dozen of the same type if you can - see my selecting an axe write up for how to check the helve, head alignment etc.

Hope that helps

Red

Oh yeah - its not just Lurch ;)

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
I'd definitely want to handle the axes before buying, I did read your article on selecting an axe so hopefully know what I'm looking for. I also read the article on axe sharpening, I can't believe it's not a sticky, it's really good. I've been sharpening axes similarly to knives and all my knives are razor sharp so I just assumed the axe was made from poor steel (It probably is to be fair)
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Lurch,

He wasn't but the double bit is taking some time to get right plus he had some heaqds left over from the first forging so I hope he will make them up to keep people interested until we get the double bit on stream

Red

I have a gerber Back Paxe, but if I had known more before buying it, I would have bought an equivalent fiskars. Same thing, just no nifty sheath and half the price. It holds an edge remarkably well, and as an added bonus, the face is narrow enough to use knife sharpeners on, making it ridiculously easy to keep it literally razor sharp. I shaved with mine as a joke once. The small size and weight make it easy to strap to the pack and once you get used to the odd center of gravity, it throws remarkably well...

IMG_0218.jpg

Yes, it even throws horizontally... I think I need to clean up my pictures... ;)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got a pair of fiskars and they are superior to the US made blacksmith axe I've got. I've never been able to get a truly sharp edge on the American axe yet I took a big hole out of my wrist sharpening the fiskars on day 1!:eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Truly awful helve on those fiskars though - messes up the entire balance (for me). You really can't beat wood for a helve

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a new one on me Greg! No idea what they are like, but I'd love to hear your opinion if you get one

Red

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
The Homebase hatchet had Wilkinsonsword and Fiscars printed on the label, so i guess it is a similar head but with a decent hickory handle. It's taken a while to get it how i wanted it but after using it today, it really was worth the £15.
Baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE