Best budget camping axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Hi there - I was wondering if anyone could help me select a budget axe for when we take the family camping.

We go a few times a year, but we're not heavily into bushcrafting - I just want something that'll do the job.

Is there a bare-minimum specification I should look out for?

Essentially I'm after the axe equivalent of the Mora Companion knife!

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Or as Broch says car boots are a good source of quality older axes....although unfortunately these sometimes seem to be going for silly money :-(

Sent from Somerset using magic

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you're cutting something, yes, the axe edge needs to be sharp.
If you are splitting wood, a sharp edge is self-defeating = digs into the wood.
We use dull edges so that the wood actually splits just ahead of the edge for greater efficiency.
My carving adzes are better than razor sharp ( I cut wood, not hair).
My froe has an edge maybe 0.1mm wide if not more ( I don't care, really!).

Reactions: BJJJ and packalot

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Once again: what is it that you will mainly do with it? I can fry eggs with dynamite to be sure they are cooked. Split firewood? Get a 6# splitting maul. Or buy a gas/hydraulic when you have 5-6 cords to split (see my avatar).

Thanks all for the discussion. I have several hatchets in the shop. Not exactly where. I have no need to swing an axe where a power saw will do. But, I like all my Fiskars vineyard tools so might just add the X7 hatchet to the others.

This is hilarious! I have a black/chrome one, a blue one and a yellow one.
That's how brand-sensitive I am.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I think x10 has the same head and longer handle > easier and safer to use, prices are often same.
Thanks. I noticed this too, and really ummed and ahed over the choice - in the end, because I want to teach our children to use it, and thought the X10 more awkward to pack, and couldn't find the X10 in stock at a decent price, I went for the X7. It's arrived and feels smaller than I expected, and I can't help thinking the X10 would have been a better choice overall.

Ah well.

The X7 seems like a very decent tool which should comfortably do the jobs I want it to.

I took the opportunity to pick up a Bahco Laplander as well and they seem like a capable pair.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@TLM
I think you are wrong, isn't it?

X5 is the too short handled one.
X7 is the right one.
Weight 645g.

X10 is too heavy for rucksack and youngsters. Isn't it?
I think it has another head.
Weight approximately 1000g.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crowe and Herman30

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It is a matter of taste to a degree but for me x7 is just too short handled too, I have really no idea why x5 was made. It seems you are correct of the present selection my memory track is from the original series some while ago.

Scouts here use the x10 almost exclusively.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That perhaps has its reasons in the circumstances. German Scouts always carry hatchets with 600g heads.

That's pretty interesting.

I think that the handle of the X7 is a little bit longer than the old hatchet. But I am unsure about that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE