Which Air Rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Morning all,

I'm thinking of buying an air rifle again, but could do with some advice as to which model & make etc

It's important that it DOESN'T use a compressed air canister that needs re-filling, but will take a sight & silencer...

If you can post pics too for me to drool over, that would be even better :)

Thanks

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Another for the TX200, if you can handle the weight. For something a bit lighter the HW95 take a lot of beating, the latest version comes with the silencer (a very good one) as standard.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I had this very same dilemma not so longer ago and have come the conclusion that it really doesn't matter that much - the important thing is that you become proficient with whatever you ultimately choose. Asking "which <insert object here> should I buy" inevitable produces huge lists of 'shiny things' from the upper price brackets with performance and features the casual user is unlikely to ever use.

I think you're right to avoid the whole pre-charged arena for your first rifle - purely from a cost point of view. A good set of sights is a definite advantage but expect to pay about as much for the sights as you spend on the rifle. I'd be interested to see how you get on with the silencer and whether you think it's necessary - I was tempted but figured it was something I could live without since most of the noise generated is from the piston and a silencer won't do a whole lot for that.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Any springer from air arms or weirauch or a theoben gas ram. All these are top notch kit. BSA and webley do decent ones aswell but they are not built as well as the others

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
HW97K, mine pictured below with a 4-12x50mm scope

DSCF3485a.jpg

Moderator is factory fitted, it's powerfull and accurate and has a nice solid kick when fired, it is a tad heavy if you intend to wander and shoot, but that said you soon get used to the weight of it, when i bought mine i also looked at the TX200 and read things about the blueing coming off and the gun rusting something that was confirmed by a couple of mates of mine who have the TX, regardless though, like the HW the TX has a big following amongst those of us who shoot springers.

Best bet if you can do it, is get to a dealer and try out as many as you can, or bar that, as you have done here, speak to as many people as possible, but at the end of the day, it's your choice as each make and model will have it's pro's and cons.

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
I guess the "clunk" sounds loud only because your ear is right next to the spring, it is true that a moderator makes loads of difference once you stand a few meters away.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A moderator would indeed take the "crack" out of the shot but you still get the twang from the spring.

I'd go for a gas ram if it "HAS" to have a moderator. - Certainly a bit quieter in my experience.

Why don't you want a pcp?

Main question really is what is your budget? Most of the rifles suggested above are well worth a look however the best advice we can give you is to get to a decent gun smiths and hold the ones you like. If it doesn't sit right with you don't buy it.

Personally I would look into underlevers by Raug Diana, Weihrauch and Air Arms. And the Theoben range if you have the cash.

I'd get a Raug Diana 52 if I were in the market for a springer.

Andy

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
These are the three i have remaining.
Each to there own but i wouldnt go back to springer after PCP
DSC_0009.jpg

Not too shabby :)

I'm the opposite, i've had half a dozen or so of top end pcp's and switched back to springers. I'm not sold on the deadness of the shot on pcp's, theres no life to them. Yes they are accurate, but no more than a springer, yes they have multishot, but so do a couple of springers/gas rams. Its just personal preference obviously.

I would have another pcp if i did as much pest control as i used to, but now that i shoot for the pot, i'm happy with a solid thump in the shoulder :)

Ah, if only Daystate did a springer ;) I had one of the first 50 mk3's, it was just too nice to get muddy :)

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Oh I agree about the deadness of the shot but would say the accuracy is slightly better due to the lack of recoil.
I was at the range yesterday and was hitting a 10mm target at 55mtrs. Now the hft boys were doing the same with there Steyer and the like and I was holding my own. The springers were doing hitting the target but only 6/10.

Like you say 'Horses for coarses'

It all comes down to what you want a gun to do.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one :)

I never need to shoot at that distance really, i tend to get close enough so that i never have to shoot more than 35 yards. I exclusively use .22 though as i've always hunted, i prefer the heavier pellet. You get a fair old drop at 55 meters :D :)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I currently use a BSA Airsporter Mk5 and find it to be a great springer, if you are looking for the best bombproof springer though it would be HW77 an oldie but a goody

A lot depends on what it is to be used for and your budget of course!

Dave

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Thanks for the replies, you've given me plenty to think about :)

I do already have an air rifle. My grandad gave it to me when i was 16 and in the ATC.

I have no idea about the make & model etc, can anyone ID it?

I haven't used it seriously for may years, but it is still fully functional.

Maybe i'll get some sights for this & see how i go.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Looke like an early BSA Airsporter to me. If the internals are in good order it should be quite adequate for a bit of hunting. If it's not been used for sometime it may well need a overhaul to get the best from it.

Dave

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
Been looking for an air rifle myself but was looking for under £100 only because it would not get a great deal of use. In saying that would like it to be able to take out a bunny or a pheasent (as long as I can get permission from the game keeper).

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
&#8230;I don't think an air rifle will take out a pheasant! Just upset it. Very small head&#8230;I don't think the keeper would be keen on you trying either. He'd be keener on rabbits

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE