Which 4 Season Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I use a nice cheap British Army issue dossbag with a center zip, yes they are bulky but that doesn't bother me! its a 4 season bag that cost me nothing (I liberated it when I left the Army!;) ) but you could probably get one for £30.
It all depends if your a lightweight camper or not.

woukd it shove into the bottom of a sabre 60-100? thats the max size i am looking at, ideally have some room left for the tarp too

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
woukd it shove into the bottom of a sabre 60-100? thats the max size i am looking at, ideally have some room left for the tarp too

I get mine into my PLCE bergen main compartment(100lt) with no trouble and still have room for spare gear, waterproofs and basha kit. My food and cooking gear goes in the two side pouches.

I don't use the compression sack, I place the sleeping bag inside my goretex bivvy bag and then it all gets stuffed into the bergen.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
If you're not walking far and only out for a couple of nights then to hell with the weight/volume.
Get a warm and comfy bag.

I've been using a Belgian bag with centre zip,it's like the UK army ones and with liner is great.

I've recently got a buffalo bag from Sniper that i'm sure will be toasty,even when wet, as i've had buffalo shirts for years that keep you warm when wet also.

Bear in mind though the bag is in conjuction with a bivi bag and usually fire and a tarp at least.

I've put a centre zip in my issue bivi to go with the zips of the buffalo and i'm sure it'll be great under a tarp,with ease of egress and entry.

You don't need food for a couple of nights compared to good comfy shelter.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you're not walking far and only out for a couple of nights then to hell with the weight/volume.
Get a warm and comfy bag.

I couldn't agree more, I also forgot to mention that my bivvi-bag is a Dutch army one which is bigger than the Brit version and also has a central zip.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Have you considered using two silk liners in your bag, also getting it properly dry cleaned? We dont realise but bags do take heavy use and do need cleaning.

Two liners and you boil alive on the coldest of nights. You can pick up cheap silk liners on ebay, a few mods and its done. No extra weight etc, etc. The more air you trap the warmer you are. You could also consider a nylon or polyester additional outer shell to the bag, again you are holding on to the air and the heat. Its a mistake to think that you need to spend more or need more kit, sometimes the low tech solutions work just as well or better. :)

Sansnakes

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I also prefer a centre zip, largely because I get sick of being woken by lying on the zip after turning over in my sleep. The UK military issue bag is a good bag, though quite large. I have an ECW one too, which is excellent - just as long as you aren't backpacking.

However, on my last trip to sandy places I took a Snugpak and a silk liner, just so I could carry it in my daysack for use if the elderly airframe went TU. In the event I only used it on my return, and they worked very well in the freezing cold of a Mess with no heating (thanks, Sodexho).

Anyone tried the US military sleeping system - two sleeping bags and a bivi bag? They seem to be around £120 - £150 complete.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
cheers for all the help, i am probably going to get a new british army PLCE bag. I want to see one before though. Anybody know where i can get one in Edinburgh or Glasgow?

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Wiggies makes great bags, synthetic - which I recommend over down for areas that wet and damp are a factor, especially if outings are longer term than just one night.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I have a mountain equipment snowline. It's awesome. Rated to -37C, and weighs 1400g. And it always feels comfortable, I can even sleep in the house when it's about 14C and feel comfortable.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I don't have any trouble at all finding them.
:cool:

That's interesting. I thought they'd stopped supplying the endurance range in the UK, which was why a number of suppliers sold off stock a few months ago? Are you still able to get them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE