Which .22 Pellets ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunburyboy93

Feb 10, 2013
Sunbury
Going to be buying an Air Rifle (Spring, Break Barrel) from a local gun shop early next week,the shop has been there for over 40 years and the area it's based is very affluent, so i expected to pay a little more, no problem with that as they give fantastic advice and only stock well known brands, however i'm not going to buy the Gun Bag or ammo from the shop as it is ALL very expensive, i have ordered a bag but now want to order some .22 domed Pellets for target practice and the odd Squirrel or Rabbit etc.

there is a bewildering choice online to chose from, just checking ebay has given me pellet overload !!!

any suggestions on a good make ?????

best

Steve

Last edited:
I spend more on the ammo as I believe only in kill shots for the pot. Not into ratting. Things go wrong sometimes so go easy on yourself. All the German lead is cracking although the "Pest Control" shaped pellets haven't worked for my HW97KT for anything other than within 25 yards for greys. Generally target pellets work.

Some also say once you have found a decent pellet, stick to it as your barrelling and your rifle "mould" to each other. But I'm sure you'll be a crack shot in no time and you'll be getting thumb sized goups whatever the lead!

What rifle are you getting?.........................hc

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I tend to avoid "pointed" pellets as they not only tend to drill through game rather than dump their energy into the flesh but as they rattle about in tins the points get bashed and affect pellet flight. Lots of folk use domes but I prefer flat heads, found I get a more predictable arc out to target but also in small game hunting they dump their energy much better and it all counts when using low powered weapons like airguns.
But yup as said see what works in the gun.
Have fun,
GB.

sunburyboy93

Feb 10, 2013
Sunbury
i'm getting an Weihrauch Hw99, the guy in the shop said it was good as starter rifle and for someone that doesn't want to spend a ton of money (yep this is my first rifle purchase)

HW%2099s%20550.jpg

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
ok lets start at the beginning.its a german rifle so try the manufactuers own.unless your doing close range ratting,which wadcutter or flatheads would be ok i wouldnt consider anything but domed pellets.the weihrauch own pellets are the same as h&n ftt.also try the rws range but again go for domed heads.pointed pellets are pretty useless as can be unstable as well as fad pellets like prometheous and sabo.you will need at least 50 rounds of each brand to get a true test of the pellet for your barrel.after each batch its a good idea to clean the barrel and lead it up again with a few rounds.you need to find a pellet which will give you good groups at various ranges or your chosen maximum hunting range.another factor is that with .22 calibre there are two head sizes 5.51 and 5.52.
i suggest asking as many people you can for pellets they dont use to see what suits your barrel.
i'm at the moment testing a bsa pcp for its best match.
good luck

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I use either Air Arms field diablo or RWS superdomes in my .22 Air Arms TX200HC and the same in my .177 Weihrauch HW97KT. Have tried loads of other pellets and those 2 are the best for my rifles, every rifle is different though so try as many pellets as you can.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Good choice. I shoud think the majority of the high end pellet brands would perform well enough. Though I admit I have no knowledge of how pellet fussy it is.
Good little rifle by all accounts.

There was a video by the fieldsportsbritain YouTube channel that did a test of pellets against rabbits skulls (dead) and they found that flat heads impart significantly more energy.

I've used domed heads in my rifles for years without issues.
Cheers

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
stick with air arms domed mate they are true in the air and hard hitting my best kill with these was 52 yards head shot bunny dead.They are a bit more expensive but imho the best in any riffle

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Once you find the pellet for your barrel buy in bulk of say 10 tins and try to get from the same moulding batch and to almost guarantee a unified weight.most shops will do a bulk buy discount.

sent from the back of beyond

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good advice from many here.

My tuppence worth....

Try get a pellet around 14.5 gr if poss as these tend to fly better from a springer than the 16gr AA's. Look for pellets around that weight, try a few and crack on with what group well. Superdomes have a good average.... meaning that they go well in many guns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE