whhhhhooooooooooooooopppp hand drill DONE!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well after what seems to be an eternity i have managed to get a coal from the hand drill, i finally got the coal using teasl on poplar...

i watched a youtube video where the bloke wet his hands (by spitting on them) then rubbed it in, i do this but by no means as much as this chap did, so i tried it today, i found it gave much more grip than just a little bit rubbed a little, the key was to rub it in very well, and to do this several times....

i also found i was rushing things and broke my own bow drill rules, i use a 2 stage method on the bow drill, filling the notch, then catching/heating the dust, when applied to the hand drill it worked a treat, so i could have had a coal much sooner with the hand drill. you still need to keep the heat in the board and keep twisting the spindle, but the above method uses less energy.. i was tending to go for it to quickly, this meant i was burnt out too soon, and the dust was to burnt to catch properly as a fuel source..

hope this helps other people and pictures will come very shortly, they are on my phone as i was not expecting to get a coal...

regards.

chris.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good elth Chris, chuffed to bits for yer. Now to perfect it ;)

Hope alls wel ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
5ec57f0a-ecf3-14f8.jpg
5ec57f0a-ed01-70bf.jpg
5ec57f0a-ed12-1d54.jpg
5ec57f0a-ed21-8c14.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Good work!

The single biggest tip I took from the Woodlore fire couse I did was to have well wetted palms for hand drilling. As you say, when you do it it is amazing the amount of grip you get.

I haven't cracked it yet but like you, I will stick at it. Teasel and elder are what I use so you've given me hope.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Fantastic work! bet that's given you a real sense of accomplishment! I gave up after numerous failed attempts but I might just have to give it another go ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Congratulations mate. I remember trying to do it and photograph all stages of the event. Those pics never happened. I should have got a third party to record it, but she's useless.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
nicely done. im holding out on the hand drill until i manage to master the bow drill first. although i did manage to get an ember when trying it with someone else during staff training last week. we used tap water to wet our hands. theres a video on the Thecanoeman.com facebook page. not thought of using teasel as a staff. will defo try it.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
well done m8....i've never even tried yet (ashamed)....i'm a believer in one thing at a time and as yet have not reached this point....teasal and poplar it'll be tho...

a

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Brilliant!

Re. Wetting hands, I taught a hand drill workshop at the Bushmoot and did a lot of encouraging to wet the hands enough. No-one got a blister,

I suggest 3 stages - smoke, easy smoke, and give it hell!

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thank you very much all....:) still a long way to go in my goal of going out into the wild collecting the bits there and then and getting a coal first time though..

but as people have said, practice practice practice is all it is.... im confident in the bow drill, and i can do the above with that, and given some time use natural cordage too...:)

if i ever get time i want to go from entering the woods with a bit of flint to making tools and then fire with the tools and natural materials... we shall see how it goes though...:)

just finished work and im off for the hand drill kit...:)

thanks again all..;)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
whoop whooop whoooooooop!!!!!!!!!!

EMBER NUMBER 2.......:):):):):):):)

i just recognized another thing i was doing wrong, the notch was to small... i was scared that the bigger notch or normal notch would lose to much heat, but that was a mistake, the notch was not big enough to hold the heat.... i also realize the spindle i had was, or is, to thin, i have a wonky bit of elder which is a little longer and thicker, i just got an ember with that after 3 attempts with the Teasel first that failed.....

im finally getting my eye in gents....:):):):):)::):):):):):)

pics when my phone signal decides to work...:)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Morning Chris, blackthorn on ivy worked a treat with bow drill last neet. Have you tried it with hand drill ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
no i have not tried it mate, im sure it would be way to hard for the hand drill though, im still in the very early stages of the hand drill but plan to try harder materials in the future, i might give hazel on willow a go later...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE