Whet stone holder (Ray mears)

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I believe they were originally designed to keep decontamination powder dry rather than be water tight but saying that can't you make a seal with something like silicon rubber? I was thinking of the stuff they use to make and seal fish tanks.
Dave.

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
Pignut said:
All,

I have seen Our good friend "Ray" using a green sealable plastic container to hold a cut down wnet stone in one of his programs,

any Ideas where I can get one?
its a U.S army N.B.C. decontamination box, try some u.s surplus shops on e-bay, i have five or six of these, they cost a bout 3 quid each, just seal with electical tape same as you would with survival tin,(i "aquired " mine at ft bragg in the states in 1987, same time as i found 2 U.S water bottleswith cups and burner stands, and a couple of 2 qt ranger canteens, i say "aquired" coz stealing is wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :( lol,

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I bought 4 of these at Glastonbury. Yes there was a surplus stall there :confused:

They're good but not entirely waterproof. I weighed one down under water for 15 minutes and some water had leaked in, but unless you're wading through rivers I can't see how much water would get in. I've not had any problems with equipment getting wet in one of these just from rain.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Ziplock sandwich bags are usually a winner, cheap at Asda too. Although the pre wet wetstone still won't work with this method. Has anyone tried using clear bathroom sealant around the rim?

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
For keeping a wetstone well wetted in transit you could try one of the food boxes from Tescos. Not certain whether they are Tescos own or some other make, but they are sold as "Snappits" boxes or something similar. They have little tabs that turn down to lock the lid on tight (and a gasket to make them airtight). They come in a range of sizes, both round and rectangular.
Being airtight, my guess is that they are as waterproof as anything that does not have the lid as good as sealed on.
We use them for storing all kinds of stuff and find them to be tough, pretty light-weight and damned useful. They are also clear, so you can see whats in them without opening them.

My concern about using sealant or something similar would be that once opened (IF you could get the lid off!) the container would no longer be watertight and therefore no better than any other plastic box.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
The sealant I suggested is the type used to make the modern all glass fish tanks, it cures to a soft rubbery consistancy. I had thought a little applied around the grove in the lid then allowed to cure would form a kind of gasket.
Dave.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Longstrider said:
For keeping a wetstone well wetted in transit you could try one of the food boxes from Tescos. Not certain whether they are Tescos own or some other make, but they are sold as "Snappits" boxes or something similar. They have little tabs that turn down to lock the lid on tight (and a gasket to make them airtight). They come in a range of sizes, both round and rectangular.
Being airtight, my guess is that they are as waterproof as anything that does not have the lid as good as sealed on.
We use them for storing all kinds of stuff and find them to be tough, pretty light-weight and damned useful. They are also clear, so you can see whats in them without opening them.

My concern about using sealant or something similar would be that once opened (IF you could get the lid off!) the container would no longer be watertight and therefore no better than any other plastic box.

Similar things in Wilkinsons.
only 75p (?) for 0.33L rectangular box 150mm x110mm x45mm (outside) 127mm x 84mm x 35mm (inside)

They also do a round one of similar volume - could be useful to protect any homemade alcohol stoves you don't want to store inside your pans - an army trangia burner also fits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE