Where to start!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
Buy a mora clipper(carbon) a firesteel and a kelly kettle and make a brew in your garden. That way there is not fire scare (put the kelly kettle on something) you can practice feathers sticks and fire lighting:)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The place to start is to decided what it is that you want to achieve. You say that you want to start "proper camping", but that is different from what is often described here as bushcraft.

Proper camping might be considered to be wild camping, say heading up to the Lake District, or Scotland and going on hikes which will see you camping out on the hill for a night or two. Camping here is a means to an ends, rather than an ends in itself.

Hi Chris,

With due respect to the intent of the OP and not wanting to derail or hijack this interesting thread.

That's an interesting point of view. Without wanting to blow on the embers of what is or isn't bushcraft fire. In a lot of the 'what is bushcraft' threads I've read here the ultimate conclusion seems to be that (UK) bushcraft is whatever you the practicioner wants it to be. From wood turning and other forms of craftwork through to lowland or upland camping with a bergen full of modern kit and everything in between.

So is "proper camping" distinct from "proper (UK) bushcraft"? I thought not?

Cheers

John

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi John,

I really don't want to get into a discussion of what defines camping, or "bushcraft" either. Given the choice I would not use the phrase "proper camping", but it was there in the original post and I was trying to get a feel for what the OP was thinking of when he used the term.

The OP asked advice and I think it is important to be clear that lots of people go wild camping, way off the beaten track, in wild and beautiful country, and don't really use what most here think of as bushcraft skills. I have been out with folk who are experienced hikers and mountain guides who don't know knots beyond those used in climbing, can't tell the difference between a birch and a beech, have no knowledge of how to use or maintain cutting tools and know little or nothing of firecraft since they always cook on stoves.

Conversly, you can learn lots of bush skills without going camping. Often people ask where they can go to practice "bushcraft" when what they actually mean is that they want a place that they can go camping in a wood with a fire.

So, what does the OP want to do, how do they define "proper camping"?

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Thanks for the definitions, I'm learning all the time! Well I guess my definition of 'proper camping' is more what is widely known as 'wild camping'. Leaving the luxury's of camping at home and only using what you can carry on your back.

In answer to Chris great post I guess I'd like to do both! I'd like to wild camp in Dartmoor & Lake District this year and I'd really like to learn bushcraft skills and also meet with local people who wouldn't mind giving me tagging along.

I appreciate I may not be utilising much in the way of bushcraft skills in the wild camping aspect but I still am eager to learn more traditional skills.

I'm planning to attend the moot in Aug and am really looking forward to it.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Thanks for the recommendations guys. :)

zeBarOOn Bushcraft should not be expensive and is in essence very simple and you have had some great suggestions in this thread already.

One can practice skills anywhere from whittling your first spoon on a balcony to taking yourself off on your own to the Arctic wilderness.

If funds are tight and a course is not what your looking for I will be hosting a meet in June so you could meet some like minded people and swap ideas.

Whilst the weekend is not a course we will be doing a few projects so there will plenty of opportunity to swap ideas and pick up some extra skills.

If your interested in attending add your name in the Sussex meets thread.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Read Scouting for boys.

And as sayed get out there most importen is to get to feel nature as your home and safeheaven no need for anything to do that but your senses.

1. Take walks, morning, day, eve, and nights. Feel adventure.

2. Then you will want to do stuff out there instead of home to increase and prolong the adventure, and you will improvise with what you have.

3. Read up on stuff that did not work out or you want to improve or get inspiration for.

4. Bring stuff and back to nr. 2 :)

*GG that could be a formula *GG :)

snelgrave101

May 25, 2010
Glasgow
Good Boots (leather)
a good knife (personal choice only you can make)
Means of fire
6 beers
A P.M.A and you should be good to go

have fun i know i certainly do .

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hammock camping is great fun personally and thats what i do alot with diffrent bushy skills in betwen like fire lighting and axe work so why not choose what you want to do and go a head and do it.

now in regards to the moot u will have the time of your life but if you value your sleep dont sleep near naughty corner

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE