Where to go ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
Hi, I am itching to get out into nature and spend a week or so walking as far as I can and camping out whenever I get tired. Do a bit of bushcraft and cooking etc, but I am finding it hard to think of places I could go. I live in the Bedfordshire area and almost everywhere is near to a local housing estate, privately owned land or nature reserve. I havent tried asking permissions on local farms because to me that takes the fun and spontanaiety out of it. Why is it so hard to enjoy your own countryside these days ? It seems there are so many rules and regulations preventing anyone enjoying the free things in life that it's near impossible to do. Would it be so irresponsibe or illegal to just walk and camp somewhere relatively hidden without permission ? What could the penalties be ?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
you shouldn't but people do (lets face it, a lot people on here have the same dilema so probably have done but won't admit it).

depends how conspicuous you are. obviously lighting smokey fires or fires at night will atract attention then the situation can develop.

im not saying you should be doing it anywhere without permission but private land would be the biggest mistake as you could easily get done for tresspasing and other offences.

you have to be almost millitary with your actions, keeping a low profile and being able to 'bug out' quickly if things go wrong.

doing this can be limiting to what you can do bushcraft whise but you can still enjoy overnight trips.

iv done this on the south downs, its public land and apart from a few areas which state no camping there is nothing saying i can't. if you do it with respect and don't spoil the countryside for other users it is excepted by many. it is also a big place so you are more insignificant. i dont bother with a tent or tarp, just a bivi bag. find a nice place for the night then just sit around untill dark then only get the bivi bag out when you go to bed. in the meen time you can just sit back, relax, watch wildlife, maby wittle a few twigs etc.
wake up early (easy to do in a bivi bag) then get up and pack away as soon as posable. after this you just look like any other backpacker.

i did once get found. i was just packing up and a dog walker came over to me. the suprisingly friendly old lady had a chat to me about camping and said how she likes to see people enjoying themselves as long as no litter was left.
just goes to show how a little bit of respect can go a long way, im sure if i had a fire, beer can scatters around and loud music things would have been very different.

pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The thing with this tiny island that we live on is that every piece of land is owned by somebody or other, they might be landed gentry or just somebody trying to make a living out of working their small farm or holding. The only real wilderness left for us now to be honest is the west coastal regions of Scotland where it's still possible to wander the hills and valleys without bumping into somebody, but even then the land is still owned by someone.
I used to do quite a lot of "stealth" camping where we'd setup late and leave early, always leaving no trace and respecting the property at all times. It's a hard one to call as there are plenty of places you can tuck yourself away in but you've also got to know the risks if you get found, especially if you plan on lighting a fire at all.
I'd still do a bit of door knocking and see if you can get yourself permission, maybe offer to do a bit of work for them in return, even just picking up a bit of litter or fixing a fence or wall etc.
Have a look on Google Maps and try to find some promising sites, take a day walk and go check them out if access if available, it's up to you if you try and follow it up with some enquiries. The worst that can happen is they say no, it's better than ending up on court with a huge great fine.

Tony and BCUK can't condone this behaviour for obvious reasons so all the above is purely my point of view :)

Last edited:
bedford itself! lucky you :)
i have a mate who used to camp somewhere near tesco's goldington road. he's on here under name of swompy
if you are in bedford you have the potential for a few strolls and over night camps depending on how far you want to stomp before you set up for the night tho you would have to be sure to get permission.
never know could maybe organise a meet up/overnighter sometime if you wanted to
Sam

Minimears

Oct 16, 2008
East Anglia
I know the guy you are talking about. I've known Bruce for quite some time now, didn't know he was into bushcraft though. A meetup sounds pretty good, most of my mates enjoy their creature comforts too much these days to go yomping cross country.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE