where to get knife blade?

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
help !!!! I want to make a bushcraft knife for regular use with scouts, with the intention of using it for the same project with scouts for the future, can you advise where to get good quality knife blades for such a thing???? the idea is for the scouts to make the handles.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
On the 4 occasions I have made knives with Explorers I have used Lauri 95 carbon blades from Brisa as they are cheaper when buying multiples. I have just done set 4 recently.
HERE is a tut on fitting a bolster

HERE, HERE and HERE are some of the knives we have done the latest set to be shown soon

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
brisa??? they look perfect for what i had in mid for my scouts. for myself similar as well, suitable for very regular use. how about sheath's? something i have not been very good at.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If you are asking me. The antler and horn are also from Brisa.
The wood came from a friend who is into wood turning and the wood is mostly offcuts of beach and mahogony etc.
The leather and tools are from either Leprevo or Tandy Leather.

The thing is though unless you and your helpers can do a decent job of making a knife how can you teach others?

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
you have a fair point, but we have done this before, along time ago, possibly 15 years ago and so I want to give myself a refresh before i make them with my scouts. or at least thats the plan.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Someone may say the postage is high from Brisa but if you are buying enough it is cheaper in my experience.

you have a fair point, but we have done this before, along time ago, possibly 15 years ago and so I want to give myself a refresh before i make them with my scouts. or at least thats the plan.

Glad to see you know what you are doing. One of my main bits of advice to any Leader is to try doing it yourself before teaching the kids any activity.

Remember to show us the results.

Do you still want advice on sheathmaking?

Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well my suggestion is that you find one of the nice folks round here who is keen to help you for a day.

You are a bit away from me unless you fancy coming up here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE