Where to get a knife re-ground

EDoc

Jun 12, 2011
Edinburgh
I have an A. Wright and Son bushcraft knife. I've had it for a year now, and as described in other threads, it seems to suffer a bit keeping a edge. Can anyone recommend where to get it re-ground? One thread I looked at recommended JLT knives, but their website has gone. Is there anyone else?

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Stu Mitchell does a fantastic service so does Longstrider, you can find them either here or on British Blades, both very very good

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm not sure I'd recommend that you spend a lot of money on it. It might be better to invest a small sum of money in some sharpening gear if you don't already have it, especially something like a strop and some abrasive paste, or alternatively a steel, just to touch the blade up slightly after each use. The investment you make in those, and in learning the techniques to use them, will not be lost if you decide to change your knife. Whatever you do I think your knife is going to need more attention than some other blades might need, but if you give it regular maintenance it should perform quite well.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Ged, you are absolutely right, however the OP asked for a re-grinds service, the 2 i've reccommended will do what is required to put a superb edge/profile on the A Wright knife, as one of them did for me, really transformed the knife at a reasonable price.

Well worth spending a few quid to get the blade spot on, you wont be disapointed. :)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Another vote for Longstrider over on British Blades,he recently restored 3 of my knives for a very modest price,he also sells strops and compounds which i purchased and it has transformed my sharpening skills, combined with my Spyderco Sharpmaker (highly recommend) i can now keep on top of all my sharpening.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Another vote for Adam of JLT knives, he's done a couple(that i know of)of the wright knives, and the owners have been happy.

Rob

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I can't recommend Ian Alan-Rowlandson (AKA Longstrider) highly enough. He repaired a nasty gash in my beloved Woodlore. He's an absolute gent to deal with and really gives you his honest opinion and best work. I also have an A. Wright and Sons Bushcrafter that I'm going to send to him to reprofile.

JH

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE