Where to find King Alfred Cakes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ive been on the lookout for King Alfred Cakes in my local woodland (Mostly Beech Trees), I have found a single one there once before, but not finding anything at all at the moment.

I know that they prefer Birch, but are there other species that they will grow on, and is there a specific time of year to find them? (I have read that they are all year round) - trying to establish if I should look elsewhere, or wait (there's plenty of other tinder around)

Any help appreciated - btw I am in Cornwall (so the climate is a bit milder/wetter down here)

Thanks

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You can find them any time of the year and the best trees to find them on for me personally tends to be Ash that have dropped branches.

I do find that the longer the branch has been lying on the ground the better the chance of finding them

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
As above really they grow predominantly on Ash trees. Although I have found a few on other species. Try and pick a few here and there to ensure you have a source each year.

They are are abundant in the south getting a bit more scarce as you travel north.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I am wondering if area and climate have an effect on where they are to be found. I have gone about the woods and countryside, up here in Central Scotland, all of my life, and I am now 80, I have yet to find any up here, I have looked
at fallen Ash trees, as well as others but without success . A kind member on here sent me some from the South of
England, and I keep them like they were Gold Dust. GREAT THINGS.
I would like to know if any one else up in Scotland has found any up here, and if so , I what area?
Cheers Stuart.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Yeah... I'll repeat. Ash is where you need to look... fallen Boughs, or dead attached Boughs. Ash is always rather distinctive, with it's Beige-Khaki-ish Bark... and where the bark has peeled or fallen away it will reveal for the most part a black patch among the Beige-khaki-yellow coloured Bark.

I picked up a couple more, while out & about yesterday for a wander... they're fairly common round my way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE