Where to find Crampball!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi all,

I heard the fungus crampball is good for use with sparks and smoulders for hours, am i right in thinking you can get this from alder trees? If not where!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I was wondering if anyone had tried cultivating these? I was thinking of putting some logs in the garden and try and work out how to spore them. I find crampballs excellent tinder and I'm always using it..... I think I should grow my own supply.
Any help?

:)
Ed

P

Pathos

how long do their tinder properties last? I have a few which i keep in various kits, but was wondering if they have a useful "shelf live"?

Only ever seen them a few times and just wondered if worth having a few for future, or if they degrade after a while.

:uu:

Paul

P

Pathos

cheers Andrew

Mine have been around since the wilderness gathering last sept, seem to be drying up and falling apart though. Theyare kept air tight with dry tinder though.

Paul

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ed, you might try 'cultivating' cramp balls and as most fungi have a synoptic relationship with their host trees it might work. However as crampballs arent so common (as we would like) you might not get the success your hopeing.

I think you would need not only the right wood to act as host but also the right enviromental conditions - if you can find a cramp ball site on the ground then mimic it in your garden that would be your best chance.

Failing that - trial and error and a little luck will rule the day.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Pathos said:
how long do their tinder properties last? I have a few which i keep in various kits, but was wondering if they have a useful "shelf live"?

Only ever seen them a few times and just wondered if worth having a few for future, or if they degrade after a while.

:uu:

Paul
Since you are local I'll let you into a great place for cramp balls ... the University Botanical Gardens at Treborth! Go for a walk and you should find loads!

P

Pathos

Since you are local I'll let you into a great place for cramp balls ... the University Botanical Gardens at Treborth! Go for a walk and you should find loads![/quote]

Cheers Adi. I should know where that is as I am a student here!!

I'll make a point as soon as exams and deadlines allow. :roll:

Paul

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Pathos said:
Cheers Adi. I should know where that is as I am a student here!!

I'll make a point as soon as exams and deadlines allow. :roll:

Paul
Good luck with the exams, Paul!

I you want we could perhaps meet up at Treborth when your exams are over...

P

Pathos

Thanks Kath
A day out in the woods sounds good. I'll look forward ot it.

Paul

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Do you guys in the wild west have a shortage of ash trees? or just crampballs? Down here (southern mid Hampshire) we have an abundance of them, in fact its difficult to find an ash tree without any.They do vary in quality tho' some are wet in the middle an wont spark easily. If you wait for a dry spell before collection they are much better.Dead standing ash seems to provide the best ones.There are so many i have even used them to fuel a bbq.If anyone has a problem obtaining them PM me and I'll send you some at postage cost :-D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Plenty of ash trees here! (Their nasty hookey roots get into your foundations if you're not careful!) But mostly I've seen cramp balls on birch in these parts.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Could somebody give me a description of an Ash tree, i have a book but it's not very precise and doesn't have a picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE