Where to buy Berghaus Crusader or Vulcan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 1, 2020
London
Happy new year

I need a big rucksack as I go trekking across Nepal carrying food, stove, tent (but I plan to try a bivy/tarp set up for some times of year), food and gear. I didn't have a big enough ruck sack and ended up with bags hanging off it, which was tiring.

Reading around the internet it seems that the Berghaus Crusader and Vulcan are affordable second hand. The side pockets are a bonus as it allows me to dump a day sack and also to have the flexibility to leave those behind if I'm on a trek where I stay in tea houses.

I found a Dutch site which sells size 3 Vulcan Cyclops 2 for £100 euros. These are used, patched.

Is there anywhere else you can recommend to buy these sacks?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Head to eBay there’s loads. If you don’t mind camouflage head to Strikeforce supplies they do the Brit issue Bergen which is similar.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Take a trip to Melton and try before you buy....

I have a berghaus 90/20 MMPS with additional zip mod on the front. In near mint condition. Size 3:D

Jan 1, 2020
London
I love the British Bergens but they are designed to be worn on webbing. They would kill me if I tried using them to carry a heavy load. The problem is they don't have a proper load carrying waist belt. They have a stabalisation strap around the waist.

I didn't have much luck on ebay. There are expensive ones, ones in the wrong size (I want 3), and shagged out examples.

What is Melton? A search didn't give me a web site. Do you mean the place, because there are gear shops there?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I loved my Vulcan and only sold it because it really wasn't getting used and I really needed the funds at the time.... but they really are the best rucksack I've ever owned for heavy loads. As a point to note, the side pockets are a little on the small side so if you prefer extra capacity you can swap them out for olive green brit army PLCE ones. Same zips.....

As Scoman says, there's loads on Ebay...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
Another one to consider would be a Lowe alpine Saracen, I found the adjustable back system more comfortable than the Berghaus fixed one

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Another one to consider would be a Lowe alpine Saracen, I found the adjustable back system more comfortable than the Berghaus fixed one

Yes - the Lowe Alpine back system is vastly more comfortable (I have an old LA Cerro Torre with the TFX 5) than a fixed system. This one isnt cheap, but its in olive. Of course, it might be worth just finding a modern pack like the current Cerro Torre, but perhaps 2nd hand - more comfortable and less likely to be knackered.

Reactions: mickeyluv
Jan 1, 2020
London
Sorry, I meant Melton Mowbray. I have one for sale.

Sorry, I was being a bit thick and didn't pick up on that. How much is it?

Yes - the Lowe Alpine back system is vastly more comfortable (I have an old LA Cerro Torre with the TFX 5) than a fixed system. This one isnt cheap, but its in olive. Of course, it might be worth just finding a modern pack like the current Cerro Torre, but perhaps 2nd hand - more comfortable and less likely to be knackered.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jan 1, 2020
London

Thankyou very much. I would like to buy it. I am going to wreck my body if I try another 3 week trek with a crappy rucksack.

can you send me an email - modartis at gmail dot com ? I can send you money from my bank a/c or paypal.

if you can figure out the postage cost on one of these courier service discount web sites I will send over the money. I actually won't get back to the UK until the 15th so there is no rush for delivery. My UK post code is BR1 5RR (they want to know so they can calculate postage)

https://www.parcel2go.com/
https://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thankyou very much. I would like to buy it. I am going to wreck my body if I try another 3 week trek with a crappy rucksack.

Sorry, I don't post items. I've been burnt before by postal systems. Hence my original post:

Take a trip to Melton and try before you buy....

I have a berghaus 90/20 MMPS with additional zip mod on the front. In near mint condition. Size 3:D

Good luck in your hunt though

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Many moons ago I used to have a Berghaus dart, about the size of a Munro as I recall. These days I have a Lowe Alpine Sting and a Saracen, now here is the strange thing, the side pockets go one way on the Sting and the other on the Saracen, what you can't fit in the Saracen isn't worth taking :) Alas I cannot trek long distances with any of them any more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE