Where there is no Doctor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I posted this a while back but maybe this is a good place to get a collection of such resources together.

Wayland said:
We have a lot of books in our house, 2 or 3 thousand at last estimate, so a book has to be a bit special for me to make the effort of vinyl covering it.

This book, “Pocket First Aid and Wilderness Medicine ” by Dr Jim Duff MBChB and Dr Peter Gormly MB FRCS actually prompted me go out and get a new roll of vinyl.

At 140mm x 105mm x 10mm. This is a book I’ll be carrying with me. My first aid kit has always included a manual but I’ve never seen one that suits bushcraft and outdoor pursuits so well.

The sections on first aid are just as you’d expect for the most part, but where this book is really different is what happens next. What do you do if the ambulance is not going to be with you in half an hour, half a day or even half a week?

This book has been written for expeditions who may be a long way from medical help. Sure, in an ideal World we would all prefer to pass the casualty on to someone who is better qualified to give medical aid, but what if that’s not an option?

I think this is the only first aid book I have seen that goes on to deal with aftercare and longer-term treatment where necessary.

Dealing with the basics, the first thing that impressed me was the layout, very clear and simple, the way everything was cross referenced with page numbers taking you straight to the information you need could be a life saver too.

Although it does recommend that you read the whole book before you set out, let’s face it, that’s something you do once then forget about until you actually need it. I felt this was a book you could pick up in an emergency and all the important stuff comes quickly to hand.

When I started to read through it, the experience of the writers really started to show. Before I’d read 20 pages I had learnt about a dozen very useful tips for preventing and preparing for problems that even after a good few years of bushcrafting and outdoor life had simply never occurred to me before.

There is also plenty of advice on diagnosis and medicine that seems very sound to me.

As the book clearly says:

“Unless you are a doctor, you should only use these medications in remote situations where medical help is not available, the victim needs the treatment to prevent disablement or death, and they give their consent.”

Good advice indeed, however, should such need arise the information contained in the book is clear and the medications appendix at the back deals with uses, dosage and possible side effects.

Other sections not usually found in first aid manuals, but very useful in a wilderness context, include hot and cold weather problems, altitude sickness, water purification, venomous bites, evacuation and even a section on child birth.

Possibly the only thing missing is a few blank pages at the back, which are always useful for notes, and can be used for lighting your fire in a real pinch.

Highly recommended. *****

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE