Where the hell is it?.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Jack said:
Are you serious Kath?
Yeah really serious! As far as know we don't have them round here... :cry:

Similarly when we were camping down near the NEC Adi heard his first ever woodpecker! He didn't know what it was till I told him. We don't get the same number of birds here. Apparently it's the green belt concentrating the birds around the edge of the city (... or something like that! :oops: Where's 007 when I need him?)

So please let me know when you hear one (so I can live vicariously!) :-D :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I haven't heard a cuckoo on Anglesey in, ohhh, let me think, well over 15 years. I know where there might be some and might take a trip there real soon to find out.

I remember a point on Anglesey when Barn Owls were almost as rare as hen's teeth too (pardon the pun) but they seem to have made a bit of a come-back in recent years.

As for bats ... well, we do really well for those here ... there are spots that will be thick in bats come June! :-D

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i heard one over here at the start of the month the land i work on is one of the first points they see on the way in and there is a rock face a the bottum of the garden called cuckoo rock :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Kath's right, I'd never heard a woodpecker before. There are a few about but not in any significant numbers :-(

The edges or urban areas can be quite prolific in wildlife generally because just as we are pressing in on their habitat, they press in against ours. A few years ago work finished on the A55 road across Anglesey and if you travel along it now you might easily see a dozen birds of prey about. Neat!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I went camping sat-mon, woodpeckers were all we heard! They were everywhere! Never saw one though, they were very well-hidden.

I think we heard one cuckoo. It was up in the Usk resevoir forest...that reminds me, see thread....

Cheers,

Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Yep I heard the old harbinger of spring this weekend when I was over the forest so you can relax Jake!

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
I heard one last friday at Langdon plotlands nature reserve(Essex)

and another yesterday at Gt Leighs essex

never found where he was , their call travells very well
:p

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I hadn't heard any this year, wouldn't you know it, heard four or five of 'em today.
Also heard a Grasshopper Warbler and a Greater Spotted Woodpecker.

I saw two Roe Deer, two Foxes, one Harrier (don't know which species very fleeting sighting),loads of Reed Warblers, one Great Crested Grebe, loads of Canada Geese (one pair with young), Mute Swans, various other water birds and an Adder.

Loads of other stuff too!

Had a busy day me! :-D

T

Tumper

Blimey...I hope you wasn't leaning on a picket fence whistling zippadee-do-da....Sorry, but I've been stuck indoors finishing a report all day, and I will be tommorow as well :-( :evil:

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
No leaning on fences for me. Had a walk round the nature reserve I volenteer on, then off down the river in my canoe.

Marvellous!!!:-D :-D

jakunen

Native
Not heard one either. heard and saw several woodpeckers in the New Forest the other weekend (A couple of Green and a Greater spotted I think)
And saw a swallow the other day. Nearly walked into a fast moving car as I was thinking 'Bloody hell! He's early!!'

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I saw swallows on the 24th April, and heard woodpeckers in a local wood later the same day. Still haven't heard the cuckoo yet this year though.

Dave

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I heard a woodpecker yesterday. I've also seen at least 40 roe deer around my home this year (who knows how many of them were the same ones) and about 6 hares.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE