Where in wiltshire?

Jul 1, 2012
peterborough
First post so go easy if ive posted wrong. That bein said i do like this forum, very clear easy to use etc. Myself and a friend are planning a weekends camping in wiltshire. We dont want camp sites etc, we're avid sky watchers so heavy forest wouldnt suit. Niether of us have been camping in a LOT of years, and where you can and cant camp seems to depend on who you listen to or what site you read. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated ty

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Welcome to the site, unless your on a camp site or you have the landowners permission to camp you would probably be trespassing, Salisbury plain is mostly training area and it is forbidden to camp on MOD land unless stated other wise on local notice which it isn't on SPTA,

Jul 1, 2012
peterborough
No plans to go onto the plain itself I may not have camped in years but being a barrack brat ive got a healthy respect for staying out of military sites, but theres gotta be some areas that over camped or protected?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If your looking for places to wild camp then your out of luck, you need land owners permission else your tresspassing and we dont promote illigal activities on here matey. Hence my first reply reguarding camp sites.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
First post so go easy if ive posted wrong. That bein said i do like this forum, very clear easy to use etc. Myself and a friend are planning a weekends camping in wiltshire. We dont want camp sites etc, we're avid sky watchers so heavy forest wouldnt suit. Niether of us have been camping in a LOT of years, and where you can and cant camp seems to depend on who you listen to or what site you read. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated ty

Hi mate, welcome to the forum, Im from March so not a million miles away from you!!
If you want a true wild camp experience how about going a bit further up the road to Scotland?
Its legal to wild camp there as long as its not private land!!
all the best
steve

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Camp along the Berkshire and Wiltshire Ridgeway. Overnight below the ramparts in the hillfort of your choice. Sidbury Hill, Tidworth, might be a bit noisy at night with bouncing cars. Camp late, leave early worked for me in Wiltshire. Oldbury Castle, Cherhill, near Calne is terrific. Public access, just a grey area if you overnight but all the sky you want and what views across to Avebury and Windmill Hill!

To the side of the towpath of the Kennet and Avon Canal is another possibility. Choose where they haven't dredged recently and away from town dog walkers. For example a distance along from Pewsey lock in either direction. Combine with a canoe trip maybe?

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Or go a bit further west to Dartmoor where camping is not just legal but actively promoted for most of it. The OS shows you where you can and can't camp. And there is zero light pollution once your away from any civilisation.

Jul 1, 2012
peterborough
Thanks for adding more to this thread guys all and any information is apreciated. Feel free to private msg if you know a good place but dont wana advertise it too much

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE