Where do you keep you knives?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Obviouslt I haven't got as many knives as you lot but I am a bit paranoid about knives at home so I keep all my knives in my bedside chest of drawers. I figured they are safer near me as I am sufficiently light sleeper to get to them if needed! ;)

Seriously though I am a bit funny about sharps in the house. I always store my ice axes under the bed along with various hammers such as claw hammers and geological hammers, etc. I only have one knife somewhere else and that is the first SAK I was given. I don't recall where that has got to. Plus all my cooking knives are nice and handy in the kitchen in a wooden storage block so don't know why I feel my outdoors knives should be kept upstairs safely away near me.

I do have one opinel in my cutlery drawer too.

Now you don't want to ask where my other outdoors gear is kept as it would only be quicker to answer with a simple "in my house" because it is anywhere and everywhere in my house. Plus a lot in the boot of my car. I'm a hoarder and not very organised. If anyone knows where my firesteels have gotten too please let me know. :D

I have a load of old basket trays and stands which came out of some old fitted wardrobes, they're screwed to the wall in the loft with all my kit arranged in them. My sharps live in a couple of wooden wine boxes with clear lids on.
It's a bit geeky but I have draws for different types of gear, it seems to work well and it's better than just chucking them in a skip I suppose.

that is my long term goal/dream method of kit storage. if i could only manage it

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The primary users are on a hook (carved from a piece of trunk with a few branches sticking out) just by the door, there are some more in various backpacks, with the viking age kit and so on. The Wetterlings hunting axe is in the map pocket behind the drivers seat in one of the Volvos, the scandinavian forest axe is in the umbrella stand for some reason (I think there is a digging stick there as well), the carving knives are in my small toolchest.

Yes I have children, but they know better and besides have their own knives.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I keep them in a small wooden box with drawers that I bought from ikea, but my buying rate is far greater than the space available..

I'm curious about how you compare those two?!
Ours are all over the place in various drawers, but we're in the process of collecting them all into a glass cube vase, if only for inventory purposes.

Last edited:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Some of them are hanging on the wall. The rest are in the shed. :)

S8000800.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Mine are all folders at the moment, so I keep one in every jacket and in handy places around the house.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
I'm curious about how you compare those two?!

Forgive my bad english.
What i meant was that the number of knives that I own is continuously growing, but the space to store them (with order) is not.
So, since SWMBO is kindly complaining when she find cutting tools here and there, I know it's time to do something :lmao:

Cheers,
Paolo

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Yes, I understand.

the number of knives that I own is continuously growing, but the space to store them (with order) is not.

I know only too well what you mean by that qualification! :)

So, since SWMBO is kindly complaining when she find cutting tools here and there, I know it's time to do something :lmao:

My GF has more knives than I do! At least, judging from what we've unearthed so far... and I know there must be others still...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE