Knives you should really dislike, but don't!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So after going through my collection of sharps, I have and in mind of thinning the pile.....I keep coming across knives that are really not to my taste or design isn't right or the steel is bad, yet I keep them.

And it got me thinking what other examples are there, where the execution was poor in a knife, but you would not let it go. Just to note sentimentality is not a factor here.

So here is my offering as an example.

The deejo....it is not comfortable in the hand, the screws always need screwing up, the steel is softer than a butter knife and loses the edge quicker....yet it finds pocket time with me, and doesn't do more then rip at cheese and apples. I shouldn't like it, but it do?

IMG20221216103148.jpg

What are your examples and why?

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Always find these kinds of things odd.
A bit like the phrase 'guilty pleasure' - never feel guilty about the things you like, or don't like. Nor dislike (or like) things because you think you 'should'.
Bizarre way of thinking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect we're looking at 'should' in different ways.

The Mora is too big for me, too oddly shaped, just altogether not a knife that I would geneally consider. It shouldn't work for/with me, if I make myself clear ? but it does :)

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
IMG_0683.jpg

The OKC Ranger Falcon. The blade stock is 1/4" thick, the handle is just a bit too short and it's very blocky. Yet despite all this it cuts and hasn't proved uncomfortable in hand. It's a bizarre design, especially when you consider the steel is 5160, therefore very tough and could easily stand to be half as thick.

*shrugs*

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I am surprised this hasn't come up yet but for me its the Spyderco UKPK
(Original not the cheap spec, very different)

It is way more tactical than I would ever normally chose. It has had gasps of "shiv",, from none knifey folk but still its in my pocket every day. Simply function over form.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I will admit to a slight addiction to British Army clasp knives and Royal Navy Jack knives (rigging knives)
They‘re heavy, prone to rust, their lambs foot blades are not particularly practical and their can openers are awful but I love them. I’m slightly ashamed to admit that I don’t know how many I have.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Having found one in a box earlier - the Svord peasant. I’ve written before about how I don’t think the handle is right in a number of areas but the blade is just so good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE