Where do you go wild camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
It seems a lot of you guys have found some great camping spots out in the woods. How do you find your places to go camping? I mean given wild camping isn't allowed outside Scotland (I think?) so do you just head off into any old wood where you know you won't be disturbed?

I guess the reason I'm asking is because I think where I live I'd imagine either a park ranger finding me and asking what the heck I was doing building a fire in his wood or else some local yobs finding me during their drinking sessions! Maybe I just need to get otside the cty into bigger woods where I can go deeper into them and away from civilisation!?

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
pretty much what i do, I have tried seeking owners permission but cant even find out who owns the woods near me so just make sure i leave no trace, provided you do this noone should even know you are there so no harm no foul

Dave

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
what Dave said, I tried for about a year to find out who owned the piece of land I was in, after going up there quite a lot during the day time and never seeing anybody or any trace of "yobs" I figured I'd just go for it anyway. I know its against the law yada yada yada, but I bet more than half the people do it on here. Just try and leave no trace of you being there, hammocks work perfectly for this as you dont have to clear away a large area for your tent. If you are going to have a fire either try and keep it small or otherwise use some form of stove...a hobbo perhaps? also if your woods are near to a path like mine, make sure you go reasonably deep into your woods where nobody will see the light of your fire should someone decide to take a night time strole.

just to reiterate I think that if you go up a good few times during the day and never come across anyone then its pretty much (90% ;) ) safe to say you'll be ok at night time....especially this time of year.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Don't forget that this forum doesn't support camping without permission so all the advice being offered is theoretical... and we of course do make sure we have permission to camp in the woods whenever we go out :rolleyes:

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
the best thing to do is check out google maps like sxmolloy suggested, that's what i do, i am in the process of asking for permission to use some local woods, it took a bit of investigation work to find the land owner but hopefully worth it.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Arrive late, leave early and leave no trace. 3 easy rules to wild camp by. if you do this even if you're noticed leaving the site they'd be damned hard pressed to prove you were there.
i'm off early december for a couple of nights and i'll be stopping in some heavily wooded area's but it'll be late in early out and again leave no trace. got my hobo stove for warmth so i reckon i should be fine.

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
the rules we have when we go out into the wild is....keep the camp spotless at all times and if at camp during the day keep the fire small as possible if lit at all, that way if you do happen to get spotted at least it looks like we are looking after the place and not a bunch of rebels wrecking the landscape, its just one of those risks you have to take living in this wonderful country full of rules and health and safety.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Every woodland I find, If I stay long enough I see another bushcrafter sneaking in late and leaving early.

Your LED Head torches are a big give away guys :p

country boy

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2005
cornwall/devon border
im a lucky one a local farmer with a small woods near me let myself and my 2 boys have full run a few years ago needless to say the boys 16 now have other interest better looking than dad eh ho:camping:

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
suppose thats one way to scare the yobs away from the woods, just make a growling noise and shake some bushes, then just sit back and enjoy the mad panic as the yobs leg it never to return again.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
suppose thats one way to scare the yobs away from the woods, just make a growling noise and shake some bushes, then just sit back and enjoy the mad panic as the yobs leg it never to return again.

yobs dont scare that easy up here m8...lol..

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
yobs dont scare that easy up here m8...lol..

you must live just south of HELL lol ... in your case just strip naked and run at them with your axe screaming, if that does nothing...well then the old saying "if you cant beat them.......join them".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE