where can i buy some GENIUNE 550mil spec paracord not the rubbish stuff from ebay?

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
HI EVERYONE, Just saying hello from bucks.
I am a newbie on this site, and i would like to know where i can buy some decent Genuine 550 mil spec paracord in any colours in the uk. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks.
AKA>> the interceptor boy.

I bought a 100m roll of green braided basha cord, it was only about 3mm and it was genuine MOD issue stuff for only a tenner on ebay.
It ties better than para cord, it is just as strong if not stronger and it is a lot less in volume for the length if you see what I mean? I've no idea where to get it again as it was a one off buy, but if anyone see's it, it is well worth a look as an alternative to gen para cord.

I don't know if para cord is issued to uk troops or not, maybe this is the alternative?

WS

leon-1

I don't know if para cord is issued to uk troops or not, maybe this is the alternative?

WS

It didn't use to be general issue, the 550 stuff is American in most cases. I have used the 3mm stuff you are talking about and it is pretty good, but I also have the real 550 and that is very good, but as you say the thinner 3mm issued is better for tying knots with (if pretty much impossible to get your hands on even in the forces:rolleyes:).

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I recommend Endicott's and their paracord, I've found it to be very good quality not like that nasty cheap stuff that frays and flattens out. Their customer service is spot-on.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
TT thanks,hanks everyone for replying to my pm, and thank you all, thanks, thanks, thanks, th thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks,thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks thanks,, thanks,

T thanks,hanks everyone for replying to my pm, and thank you all, thanks, thanks, thanks, th thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks,thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks thanks,, thanks,

T thanks,hanks everyone for replying to my pm, and thank you all, thanks, thanks, thanks, th thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks,thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks thanks,, thanks,

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
Don't get too tied up over para cord (excuse the pun)!

We are all guilty of being obsessed with para cord at some time because any survival course or book will refer to it but don't forget that this is simply becuase survival and therefore bushcraft share their origins in military survival.
This training was aimed at downed pilots because they are expensive in time and money to train and are more likely to be in this situation that the average soldier. It is because a pilot will use what is to hand (his/her parachute) that paracord is referred to so often but the fact is that we don't need it, it is simply a nice to have.
Unless a military person is in an airborne or airmobile unit they will not have access to paracord and have always made do with the standard poly green string. It works fine, as does any string.
Yes, some are better than others but unless you intend to start stripping out the centre braids in order to make a fishing net etc. then is the added cost worth it. The last thing you want is some cord so expensive that it never leaves your pocket or rucsac.
A lot of trees are damaged in training areas because nylon cord is left tied around a sapling which is then strangled by the cord as it grows.
For first timers or those on a tight budget a role of cheap garden twine is great for shelters that are only up over the weekend, it is easy to get hold of, costs a few pennies and is bio degradable over time.
For a centre support of a tarp why not try tape instead of cord. It is a lot cheaper, much stronger, weight for weight and can be used for river crossings or an emergency abseil ( not for climbing though!).

Hopefully this will give you some food for thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE