When we were scouts - Tuesday on BBC 2 - 8 PM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The difference between BP Scouting and the Scout Assocation is that after BP's death, the higher ups in the Scout Assocation decided to change things (the Uniform, the laws - hence the statement I have made about getting a pre-1970 Scouting for Boys, they changed that to). The people behind BP scouting decided that they could not go forward like that, and formed the BP Scouting.

If you follow the link, they sell the original style scout shirt, which if they are still like mine, they are like armor plated arrow shirts. Perfect for in the woods. I went thought 3 SA ones in less than two years, the BPSA ones always got recycled.

I was wondering if I know you, schwuk, but I think I was around before your time. Been to Stainsby yet?

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
The programme was called 'When we were Scouts' and in that respect it did 'exactly what it says on the tin'. As Mikey P said, it was a load of z-list celebs reminising about their days as a Cub, Scout or Guide 40-odd years ago.

Whilst a lot of what these people said was cringable (the uniforms, the dyb-dyb-dybing etc), it was how Scouting used to be and I learnt long time ago to just smile and laugh along with it.

That said, the Cubs on the roller coaster was hilarious and the clip with the young lad swinging an axe twice the size of him made me cry with laughter!!

What is a real shame though, is that the Scout Association didn't use the programme to do a bit of self promotion. Backwoods cooking and raft building is all good fun, but as the filming was done at Gilwell, surely some shots of the Scouts using the climbing tower or the high ropes course would have been better? Why didn't they interview some current Scouts and ask them what they do? I watched the whole programme and can't remember the centenary being mentioned at all!!!!

As a Scout Leader, I know exactly what Scouting has to offer young people. I'm not sure the programme did anything to put that across to non-members.

D

Deleted member 4605

Minotaur said:
I was wondering if I know you, schwuk, but I think I was around before your time.

Probably not, seeing as I haven't made it year yet though! Chances are you'll know my GSM or vice versa.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Mat said:
As a Scout Leader, I know exactly what Scouting has to offer young people. I'm not sure the programme did anything to put that across to non-members.
My host group have just picked up a new leader as a result of the programme. It was his first meeting last night and he said that the smell of the HQ brought back so many happy memories that the twenty years he was out the movement seemed like the blink of an eye. He rang up this afternoon to see if his 14 year old daughter could join my unit... oh yes.. :D

So in my books it was a huge sucess. :D

D

Deleted member 4605

The programme was repeated on BB2 this evening, so I've finally got round to seeing it. I agree with most of the comments above, and as an 'insider' I don't feel it portrayed the movement anywhere as near as it could have. A shame...

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Warning: This post is a bit of a Rant, aimed at the programme.

Mat said:

Could not agree more. We need a new law to protect Scouts from this sort of basised, sterotipically atitude.

The thing that really did my head in was if this was an American programme, they would have had A list stars.

The thing that turned me off straight away was the history of Scouting at the start. This is a programme that the Scout Assocation helped make and they cannot get their own history right.

BP did not start the scout movement. He did not come home from Africa with any idea to do this. He wrote a little know book called Aids to Scouting, and was then approached by the Boys Brigade to write something for them. This book, called Scouting for Boys, was published in 1908 in The Stand magazine. Children reading these articles then started their own scout groups(mentioned in the programme, even girls). BP was forced into the role of chief scout and organising them into an Assocation.

The camp at Brownsea was not the start of the scout movement but BP testing the ideas he had put in Scouting for Boys before it was published. Which explains why I keep having arguments about the fact that next year is a hundred years of scouting, and not this year. They cannot even get that right.

What stuck me as bizarre, was the fact that they seemed to let the programme makers turn the scouts into a cadet group. If you place scouting in the military, they would be special forces. The whole point of scouting was to teach scouts to think for themselves, and to lead. As prevously mentioned, we shake with the right hand because that is normally the weapon hand, this says I cannot attack you because I am shaking you hand. Scouts shake with their left hand (I think it is a Zulu thing) the shield hand so the person still has their weapon, this says I trust you.

They kept talking about the military uniform and about shorts. Kids wore shorts, up until I think at least the Fifties, that was what they wore in England(This is also why the US Scout movement has a climate based uniform i.e. scouts wear shorts in the hot bits because that is what they wear.) Twenty years ago I wore them as school uniform until I went to seniors. Hikers today still wear shorts. A lot of the scouting kit was military, because it was cheap, kids back then did not have wardrobes full of clothes. Before BP the concept of Camping(as a leisure activity, people did it because they had to) did not exist so where are you going to get tents etc but from surplus places. Why were the adults in shorts, first rule of leadership, 'Do not expect someone to do something you would not do yourself'.

It is just bizarre that they would portray BP as someone with the status quo, we are talking about a Victorian who did not belive children should be seen and not heard. He wanted children to think, and act for themselves. He used children as scouts in a war. Here was a Victorian who thought native cultures could teach them something. Here is a Victorian who used to bunk of school to bushcraft. Here is a Victorian Enviromentalist, camping should be zero impact according to BP.

Just something to think about but the Scout Movement decided to modernise the Scouts in 1970(I think it was actually 1967). This is a movement that is 99 years old now and has the concept of children leading and governing themselves. A good scout leader in a well run troop, does nothing but turn up to give guidance and run ceromenies.

Lots of clips of the funny side of scouting, no clips of what happens when a little know bloke called Hilter gets hold of Scouting for Boys. BP asked him not to use the term scouts, you have to wonder if he saw the writing on the wall.

Regards,

Ps
schwuk said:
Not yet, but I may be there for my woodbeads later this year.

Best piece of advice, play the 'I am new at this card', and take a notepad just for ideas. Just as an example diffrent ways to play the same game so it does not get boring.

schwuk said:
Probably not, seeing as I haven't made it year yet though! Chances are you'll know my GSM or vice versa.

Maybe, more chance I would know your AC(or whatever they call them now).

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Minotaur said:
Warning: Could not agree more. We need a new law to protect Scouts from this sort of basised, sterotipically atitude.
How Biased? It showed a bunch of kids at camp doing the stuff that scouts do, ie setting fire to things, falling off things and getting wet. Not sure about the uniform aspect though that was weird.
First mention of "Dyb" and the leader soon put the presenter in his place, that was possibly staged but it dealt with it early on and very firmly.
Minotaur said:
is a programme that the Scout Assocation helped make and they cannot get their own history right. BP did not start the scout movement.
I know you are not a fan of the Scout Asociation, but I think you will find that the Centenary is being lead by WOSM (World Organisastion Of Scout Movements) who on their website say

"Scouting started in 1907 with an experimental camp for 20 boys. Today, Scouting is a million times bigger and involves girls and boys, men and women from every race, religion and culture, and nearly every country in the world! "

http://www.scout.org/en/information_events/events/2007
Minotaur said:
A good scout leader in a well run troop, does nothing but turn up to give guidance and run ceromenies.
Sorry but I have never met a 13 year old capable of organising a troop programme by themsleves. Yes they can be involved if thats what is best for them, but for many 13 year olds Scouts is where they get to have the childhood that their parents denied them.

D

Deleted member 4605

Zodiak said:
How Biased? It showed a bunch of kids at camp doing the stuff that scouts do, ie setting fire to things, falling off things and getting wet.

The Scouts were great. It's just a shame about the presenter...

Zodiak said:
First mention of "Dyb" and the leader soon put the presenter in his place, that was possibly staged but it dealt with it early on and very firmly.

Which I found even funnier because our Wolf Cubs still do DYB and DOB.

Zodiak said:
Sorry but I have never met a 13 year old capable of organising a troop programme by themsleves.

I can't even organise our troop programme, let alone the PLs! We do keep them involved though, and this term (my first as SM) they're busy planning a meeting for a few weeks time.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
schwuk said:
I can't even organise our troop programme, let alone the PLs! We do keep them involved though, and this term (my first as SM) they're busy planning a meeting for a few weeks time.

It is not easy to do, it is not easy to keep doing, but once you see another group doing it, it is what makes scouts different from cubs. ( I have the grey hairs to prove it, but that may be from trying to run a cub pack.)

D

Deleted member 4605

Zodiak said:
Do you have girls (or Beavers) in the BP scouts? :confused:

We have Beavers, Wolf Cubs, Scouts, Senior Scouts and Rover Scouts.

Girls can join any section, dependent on the individual group. When I joined we had mixed Beavers, Scouts and Senior Scouts but the Wolf Cub Pack was boys only. We now have a separate girl Wolf Cub Pack, although they mix with the boys for camps/outings etc. It's more to keep the meetings orderly than anything else. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE