When is it too windy?

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hi guys, does anyone have a simple guide or rule of thumb for when its too windy/ risky to be in the woods. I know there are several things related to the angle of the trees and the sound but can't for the life of me remember with any clarity what they are! Any thoughts appreciated

Take care

Joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think personal risk assessment at the time would be the only safe way.

How sodden is the ground? Is the wind gusting or constant? How old is the woodland? Etc, etc.

I'm not sure anyone could have created a guide that can apply to any situation.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
High winds and lack of time is about the only thing that keeps me out of the woods or off the hills.
Two weeks ago it was breezy but not too bad, say upto about 30mph gusts so we risked it.
This weekend and last no chance, just not worth it.
Prolonged wind doesn't happen too often so I prefer to play it safe and wait for better weather.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's never too windy to get out, you just need the right choice of shelter :) I've bailed in the middle of the night from a pine plantation when trees were coming down in the wind all around us, if I'd been on the hills in the same weather I would've been quite happy in my Trailstar.

This guy on YT makes me laugh, he seems to pick the worst weather for his camping trips, the language might be a bit fruity, you've been warned ..

[video=youtube;byxoP0PqjVk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byxoP0PqjVk[/video]

Last edited:

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
I've had to change plans when the weather has closed in, and been wind rather than rain, got think is it worth it, I know a poor homeless girl died in exeter not too long ago as the tree fell on her tent, having seen the tree and location after the event I wouldn't have said it was a bad spot, sometimes these things do just happen, so why risk it and miss out on all those future cracking times out and about.
If we choose to sleep in the great outdoors then common sense is a must, I agree with comments about checking out the age andnmix of woodland as well as prevailing wind etc, set up in daylight so you do a decent reccy and risk assessment.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Got to the woods today. It is mainly willow. They have taken a beating in the last week. Many trees down or heavy 'widow maker' branches snapped. It would've been very dangerous being in the woods at the time. But I suspect a pine wood would've been safer as branches not as thick.

I was going to go yesterday but looked out my livingroom to the park opposite. The bushes and trees were taking a battering. Simply not worth it. Checked the weather report and sunday was going to be better. I had a great and safe day.

If there is any doubt, stay away. There is always another day.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Been back to my favourite woods today. Lots of storm damage, branches down, hanging trees, some trees completely down over the paths. I would not have liked to have been there during any of the recent storms.

Quite apart from that the rains have rendered the paths very slippery underfoot.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
+1 to what Nice 65 said.

Personal risk assessment.

Coniferous plantations / woods are not good places to be when the wind blows. The majority of conifers are relatively shallow rooted, have a smaller rooting area than deciduous tree and are more prone to failure due them carrying a greater windsail due to being in leaf all year round including during winter when we are prone to more frequent and higher wind speeds.

Deciduous woodland / plantation risk depends on species, time of year, wind direction (prevailing or uncommon) and character ( gusting or constant), ground saturation etc

As the wet weather has continued this season and ground has become more saturated root plate adhesion has markedly reduced and the incidence of whole tree failure resulting from root plate heave has increased.

Trees become "shape optimised" in response to the prevailing wind. We see more failures during lower wind speeds from the north/east than we do in higher speeds from the south/west here in Bristol. South Westerlies are our go-to prevailing wind so the trees are used to it.

Species wise trees such as willow, poplar, some cultivars of ash are particularly brittle and will shed limbs quite readily.

Positioning and exposure of the trees is obviously critical too. Bear in mind though that valleys and buildings can accelerate the wind though if they are aligned just right. This is why we see some areas of the city suffer more failures than others simply because of surrounding buildings and the wind tunnelling effect.

Personally I avoid spending time within drop zones of trees as far as practical when the wind picks up beyond 40mph. Most of the failures I deal with occur beyond 30mph if from an unusual direction and over 40mph from the prevailing direction. It is worth being super observant for a few days after the blow too as things can partially fail and hang up only to show themselves a few hours or days later.

Prime example was a poor guy sat in the back end of a traffic jam two days after a big late summer blow we had in bristol. Almighty whack and he is now sitting under a 40foot long top of a london plane tree that had partially failed two days previously and hung-up. London plane is one of lifes bomb proof trees... Not much goes wrong with it apart from wind damage when things get extreme. He got away untouched but his motor had a textured roof afterwards! Good job he was the end car else it would have had a couple more besides.

If the wood is well managed with good healthy stock in a sheltered location then enjoy the experience :) Otherwise stay on your toes and keep your ears and eyes pinned and peeled :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Thanks guys, some great pointers there. I guess most of us use a common sense approach to accessing the woodlands that we use and because of this generally we are safe...but i did struggle to exactly explain why...thank you for the help

Cheers, joab

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE