When does practising primitive skills become practising survival skills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
At my place, you really need some sort of tarp over you and under the branches.
Gobs of spruce gum and a perpetual rain of sharp short needles will spoil your sleep.

Pine tents? Yeah. 400km south of me in the high country are Ponderosa pines.
6" long, silky needles. Find a grove of old trees that have been
dropping needles for decades.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, thats a good point.

However I know very little about my ancestors.

My Great grandfather on my fathers side was Cornish, and my Great grandfather on my mothers side was a Tinker.

So I am safe to assume that they wore more than shorts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pictures of indigenous people in North America are just about as old as photography itself.
Plains people were dressed from the neck to the ground.

Class distinctions demanded that the "superior" invading colonists wore really weird european style clothes.
Working immigrants wore clothes not too much unlike average clothes today. Barkerville gold miners
and shop keepers.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The only thing shorts do is to protect the modesty.
Of course, in the Caribbean Bermuda shorts are worn.
long trousers and long sleeved shirts protect against sun, wind, cold, insects and damage from nasty plants and twigs.

Plus, in the old days, most people only had one pair of everyday trousers, one or two shirts. A nice pair of trousers and a nice shirt for Sunday Church.

Clothes lasted much longer, better quality that fitted, as they were custom made. Shoes too. Thicker fabrics. Natural dies that did not weaken the fibers.

My mothers dad had a shoe factory for ladies shoes before WW2.
The shoe "prescription" was sent in, all measurements done for each foot. The customer specified leather, colour and style. My granddads workers made it.

Even of photos from Africa and India, the White Man wore long trousers.
The locals wore whatever local custom prescribed.

Of course, some more "primitive" people wore very little. Still do.

I have always wanted to try wearing the Penis Gourd like in Papua New Guinea, but gourds do not come in my size.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE