When do you wear gloves?

i wear gloves almost constantly at work the non latex protective ones so when not at work i really don't like wearing any gloves at all.
it's yet to get cold enough for me to wear them yet, i usually have a pair tucked away in my pack for when it gets cold sitting around at night or in my work bag just in case

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I always keep my gloves in my jacket pocket for this time of year but only wear them when I can feel the cold setting in on my fingers or for when I need to deal with cold items.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Kangaroo skin motorbike gloves for abrasion protection if I cack off the bike and when working in a site with a strict gloves policy I wear the framing gloves that have three fingertips removed so I can pick nails and screws out of my pouch.

DSC00326.jpg

Other than that I don't really wear gloves at all.
Nor do I even own a brolly.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rarely, in part 'cos they can be a nuisance, and in part as a relic of my Army days in the early 1980s when, as I'm sure many others will remember, we were issued with those knitted green woollen gloves, but weren't allowed to wear them! Made some sense, as it was difficult to change a mag on the SLR when wearing woolly gloves. Of course all the DS had the leather Northern Ireland gloves.....

We were issued both. The woolen ones weren't designed as "gloves" but rather "glove liners" and were meant to be worn inside the leather ones for cold weather or the leather alone for work gloves. I still have several pairs.

Like several on here, I don't really pay attention to the temerature as such; I just wear them when my hands get cold enough.

When I was still an active LEO i kept a pair of kevlar gloves for searching suspects as they often had sharps in their pockets.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
If I'm out and about I wear gloves when either my hands are cold or there is the potential for them to get cold. In winter in the mountains I wear gloves regardless - they go on when I leave the vehicle and come off when I get back, you learn to do everything with gloves on as in certain environments if you take your gloves off you no longer have usable hands which snowballs into not being able to feed yourself, drink, navigate etc.
I also work offshore on ships. When on the back deck you wear gloves regardless of what you are doing, no matter how intricate the job is, you soon get used to doing everything with gloves on including doing up small nuts and bolts for example.

When I worked as a volunteer officer for BTCV we had a wee mantra that we used to repeat to volunteers every outing.

"If its a tool that swings, no gloves"

I have witnessed various implements flying off in all directions as the user was wearing gloves.

Just sharing my experience

Windy

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Under rated bit of kit are good gloves

cheers,
Toddy

I quite agree.

I have a sliding scale of thermal efficiencies with my pairs. My Jack Wolfskins are being dusted off as I speak.

I also have two different weights of smart leather gloves for general wear.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Started to wear gloves a lot more when out in the woods. It saves on washing hands all the time when shifting wood and generally just playing about. I also wear them for walking the dog now as i dont need a lot of dexterity. I have two cheap pairs of the ALDI neoprene fishing gloves with the removable finger and thumb tips which are great for most things.
I just get used to taking them off and putting them safe in the same pockets each time which helps you not to lose them.

Cant see the point of never wearing gloves. You wouldnt do the same with your feet and if its exposed its loosing heat and heat costs energy.

Will echo what filterhoose says too, no using shiney choppey swingy tools without but bare skin.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I always have a pair of gloves of some kind Gloves offer more than just warmth they offer protection when dealing with thorns, nettles tigers etc.As has been said they also keep your hands clean if working with messy stuff
Usually leather as I use them for cooking and working with fire

Tigers was just an example of a bitey thing we don't get too many round these parts

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Started to wear gloves a lot more when out in the woods. It saves on washing hands all the time when shifting wood and generally just playing about. I also wear them for walking the dog now as i dont need a lot of dexterity. I have two cheap pairs of the ALDI neoprene fishing gloves with the removable finger and thumb tips which are great for most things.
I just get used to taking them off and putting them safe in the same pockets each time which helps you not to lose them.

Cant see the point of never wearing gloves. You wouldnt do the same with your feet and if its exposed its loosing heat and heat costs energy.

Will echo what filterhoose says too, no using shiney choppey swingy tools without but bare skin.

It's odd because when i was younger there was no way i'd wear gloves when working on my cars or motorbikes, my argument would be that you have no where near as much feel.

But now i tend to wear them most the time when working on the cars or motorbikes.
Part of it is finding decent gloves, the other part is finding a size that fit perfectly.

Now i am able to tackle 99% of job with gloves on and for bigger jobs or working on the car i find they do give me a lot more grip and a lot more confidence to torque down on really rusted bolts, as i know i'm not going to have skinned knuckles :)

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Generally I dont like wearing gloves due to not being able to feel as much when wearing them. I rarely wear gloves in winter unless I am touching snow & ice. For some reason my hands rarely get cold even though I feel the cold in the rest of my body.
The other times I do wear gloves are:
Latex gloves when painting gloss or varnish.
Rigger gloves sometimes when gardening, depending what I am doing.
Chainsaw gloves when using a chainsaw.
Padded cycling mitts when on my bike.
Leather gloves for removing a billy can from an open fire in the woods.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Now that I come to think of it I wear them during archery as well. That´s the best thing about archery: having a hot, sweaty patch of leather tied to your underarm. I wore my gloves today, but I already hate it. I can´t even get my bus card out of my wallet with them.
i´ll ask mum if she can cut the fingers of of them for me:)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
sounds daft but when i feel cold.....
yesterday and this morning i was teaching agri fencing (fairly energetic) ; no gloves.
this afternoon, root division in a FREEZING greenhouse ; gloves on.

Not daft at all, that is when I start wearing gloves. I have been wearing them recently.

I never bother with gloves unless it is really cold. This time in 2010 was possibly the only time where I've used gloves religiously in the UK, although it was way down below Zero here (-15 to -20 on average). I don't feel the cold all that much.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I never really worn gloves that much, but recently going out at stupid times in the morning with the dogs in howling winds and freezing rain [no real snow with me yet :(] I've nicked a pair of the kids fingerless gloves which actually stretch quite abit and fit pretty well. It is nice to have fingers available for stuff but nice to have the bulk of the hand covered.

When it gets really cold I'll wear my fingerless gloves inside a pair of other thin therma type gloves. I have thought abit about getting a cheap pair and removing just the tips on the thumb, fore and middle finger tips - abit like a photo on this thread earlier.

It's just not nice to have cold hands you can't move properly and hurt when you get back inside into the warmth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE