When do you wear gloves?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Every year, when it's getting colder, I expell wearing gloves as long as possible, because my gloves and mitts always get in the way of jobs such as tying stuff, or getting dog treats out of my pockets.
I remember Fredde Hobbexp being asked on his youtube channel, why wasn't wearing gloves while the ground was covered in snow. His response was: 'I wear gloves when it's cold';)

So far I'm not going to wear my gloves, but it's not freezing yet, so we'll see.

At what temperature do you start wearing gloves?

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
sounds daft but when i feel cold.....
yesterday and this morning i was teaching agri fencing (fairly energetic) ; no gloves.
this afternoon, root division in a FREEZING greenhouse ; gloves on.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Temperature is not necessaraly relavant, wind and wet can make a huge differance. I personaly only wear gloves when my hands are cold. I tend to manage most of the time with using my pockets to keep them warm.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I always wear them for rodding drains!

Seriously though, I always have a breathable pair in my pocket between October and April to cope with windchill on wet days.

Plus, nitrile gloves for icky stuff and nitrile/fabric for most outdoor jobs.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I used to wear thin leather gloves for driving in the summertime so that I didn't burn my hands on the steering wheel and to protect them from sunburn. IT also gave me a better grip on the wheel.

In the winter, I tend to only wear gloves when skiing, snowshoeing or sledging, not so much for other outdoor stuff. I'd rather have longish sleeves and tuck my hands up into them to keep the wind and cold at bay, or put them into pockets if I'm just standing around.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
so that I didn't burn my hands on the steering wheel
Can you sun-burn your hands even through a windshield? Or do you mean in a convertible? (UV radiation doesn't go through glass I believe.)

I wonder if our ancestors used to ever wear gloves. Maybe they just had such thick-skinned hands from the handdrilling that they didn't need them.:p What helps for me when walking around in a windchill is to make fists!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Can you sun-burn your hands even through a windshield? Or do you mean in a convertible? (UV radiation doesn't go through glass I believe.)

I wonder if our ancestors used to ever wear gloves. Maybe they just had such thick-skinned hands from the handdrilling that they didn't need them.:p What helps for me when walking around in a windchill is to make fists!

Yes, I drove a convertible. With the roof down almost every day of the year unless it was either raining or snowing hard. If the sun was strong, I had a hat and gloves. If the air was cold (like, below 0°C), same thing. When it was really cold (like, -15°C) I'd put on a few extra layers and have a blanket over my lap under my long coat and still drive with the roof down.

It was fun to drive like that over the Tappan Zee bridge over the Hudson when it was completely iced up... it looked like the Neva in February with great big chunks of ice sticking up at odd angles.

I'm sure our ancestors had mittens... I think that gloves only became affordable with the invention of knitting and then leather gloves were only affordable with the arrival of machine sewing. A glove has too many seams around all the fingers and to be flexible needs to be made of very thin and flexible leather. A mitten has only one seam and can be of much thicker material because you have the strength of all your fingers together to bend it.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Like others I just put mine on when I feel my hands getting cold. Loads of variables, wind, rain, energy levels and all that. I like fingerless gloves most of the time then have gloves for proper cold and mittens for extreme cold.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Now that I come to think of it, I picture these like big prehistoric oven mitts with grass on the inside and hair on the outside:)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Only wear them if am outside for a long period of time.
Hat scarf gloves, this time fo year is just too brass monkies to go without.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I rarely wear gloves even in the coldest of conditions - thats what pockets were invented for!
Cycling in wet weather, bitter cold/wet and winter canoeing are some exceptions to the rule and then my usual choice are Sealskins, wooly mitts or the kind of thing that most folk think of as liner gloves.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I learnt that if you keep your core warm, then your extremities keep warm too. Once you go below zero/high wind chill or you risk frost nip/bite, then gloves are a must.

Gloves are good for protection - so I mainly wear gloves just for that - gathering and chucking firewood about etc. But I'm lucky - where I live doesn't have many frosts :)

I might start considering to wear light gloves sometimes for sun/uv protection - a different take on the original post... Needn't be the cold that will kill me...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to use hand warmer pockets in outer clothing usually, if the terrain is tricky though and I want my hands free then I put gloves on. I like to keep as much dexterity as possible though, I'll usually combine a thin Powerstretch glove with a Paclite mitt which easily slips off when needed.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
UV radiation does go through glass. That's how greenhouses work. its wavelength changes as it does so and it can't get back out.

On the original question, it is very simple: if you feel the need to protect your hands, from biohazards, abrasion, or cold, then wear gloves.

Personally, I really like silk glove liners for all but the coldest weather. they do keep your hands warm, but don't impair your manipulation skills much. The downside is that they catch and tear on even a slightly rough surface.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I like to have warm hands, it makes things easier to do in the cold. I'll wear gloves but if something needs doing I'll take em off for a minute then pop them back on.

I've got literally dozens of pairs of fingerless gloves too, I own a paintball site so they get handed out to customers. They're cheap and cheerful but they do the job and i can do most fiddly things with them on :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Since moving here i'd say 90% of the times i wear gloves it's for protection rather than warmth.

I tend to wear gloves when working on the car, motorbike or at work
I wear gloves when working with nasty chemicals and i wear gloves when riding me mountain bike, motorbike or when sitting pillion.
I have to wear gloves when racing as well.

In the cold i have some really thick mittens that i wear on my knackered hand, as that tends to feel the cold and becomes bloody painful when it does.

I'd say i only wear a glove on the good hand half a dozen times a year for warmth as it tends not to get too cold here.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wear gloves of lots of different varieties. In the garden, when out wandering, even when just working outdoors. Cold hands are too easily damaged. I wear fingerless mitts when I need dexterity but it's perishing cold out. Waterproof gloves are a blessing for a lot of jobs. Tbh I wrap up for wind more than I do for rain though.

Under rated bit of kit are good gloves

cheers,
Toddy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I wear thin gloves when running, and a variety of gloves/mitts when its cold...
(also wear nitrile gloves at work when handling meds, blood etc, but thats work)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Rarely, in part 'cos they can be a nuisance, and in part as a relic of my Army days in the early 1980s when, as I'm sure many others will remember, we were issued with those knitted green woollen gloves, but weren't allowed to wear them! Made some sense, as it was difficult to change a mag on the SLR when wearing woolly gloves. Of course all the DS had the leather Northern Ireland gloves.

Almost always wear latex gloves for dyeing leather now and, with getting older, my hands do need a bit more looking after.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE