When did you get your first axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Small 10 euro hatchet from the diy store when I was 13. (It was blunt and uncomfortable to use, my parent's idea of ''safe'') It was this one if that picture works.
images

The head came of after a few months and I still have it. I don't have a clue what steel it is, but I suspect it has something to do with a garbage dump and a big magnet.

Now I've got an SFA, used it with caution for about half a year and have never hurt myself with it so far.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... i got my first axe when i was 14 is that too young ...

It depends on an individuals mental and physical development and whether a specific axe is suitable for their size / stature and the task(s) it's to be used for.
Do you think, at age 14, that you were too young to be given an axe?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I started using axes at about age 8 or so helping with the litard for the fireplace and helping my uncle logging (actually he was letting me playat it more than any actual help) As for the first one I actually owned; well that would have been about age 11 in the Boy Scouts. By 14 I was expected to split the firewood on my own and bting it in every night as well as the litard; I also was the one who went out and cut a Christmas tree every year.

So my opinion? 14's a bit late.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It depends on an individuals mental and physical development and whether a specific axe is suitable for their size / stature and the task(s) it's to be used for.

LOL. He said he "got" his first axe when he was 14. He didn't say where he got it; or that it was "given" to him.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

There are many fully grown adults who I wouldn't let near an axe, especially mine. But grew up around tools so the only officially sharp thing I was given was a pocket knife.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
There are many fully grown adults who I wouldn't let near an axe, especially mine.

I couldn't agree more. Hours spent filing...no more of that. Now: hands off!
First axe? Around age 12 if my feeble mind is correct:rolleyes: (over 40 years ago so I've earned the right to be forgetful;))

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I think I was around 15 when I got my first axe, it was just a simple one from the diy store. But I loved it and looked after it well. I also think it is an individual thing. I was brought up from an early age to respect and care for sharp tools, something I am trying to instill in my kids. My eldest is 11 and knows how to properly use the "Kindle splitter " along side a special sissy stick I made for her, all under supervision of course

But like the others have said there are adults that I wouldn't have near a sharp axe.

atb

Craig

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
LOL. He said he "got" his first axe when he was 14. He didn't say where he got it; or that it was "given" to him.

:rofl: Colloquialisms :rofl: In some areas, this side of the pond, 'got' can mean 'given'. Mind, he could also be this character ...

the+scrounger.jpg

:lmao:

There are many fully grown adults who I wouldn't let near an axe, especially mine.

Yup, no arguments on that, a fair few years back I went through a local scout group's stores and sharpened all their axes. After a lot of hours work they'd got eight or nine useful axes ~ unfortunately a previous attempt at sharpening had seen someone apply one or two to a grinder for too long :yikes: :censored: . In one evening they'd completely mullered them all. Butter knives are sharper ~ because they were sharp they'd rationalised that they could chop wood without using a block. So instead of safely bedding into a nice chunk of wood ... they went through to concrete and because they'd 'got someone who could fix the damage' they figured it didn't matter :cussing: :tapedshut . They were most upset that I wasn't prepared to fix them up after each and every use :yikes: :rofl: .

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:rofl: Colloquialisms :rofl: In some areas, this side of the pond, 'got' can mean 'given'. Mind, he could also be this character ...

the+scrounger.jpg

:lmao:.......

LOL. "got" might mean "given" here as well. As in being a shortened way to say, "I got an axe for a Christmas present" (or "my birthday" ot whatever) LOL. I wasn't thinking of the scrounger though, I bought most of my axes myself (although not the very first one)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
LOL. "got" might mean "given" here as well. As in being a shortened way to say, "I got an axe for a Christmas present" (or "my birthday" ot whatever) LOL.

"I got given ..." is quite well used over here :eek: .

I wasn't thinking of the scrounger ...

It's the character you made me think of when you said "He didn't say where he got it; or that it was "given" to him." :rofl: .

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I understood that bit about you thinking of james garner's charecter. LOL. It put me in mind of the scrounger in The Green Beret (Sgt Peterson, played by Tim Hutton)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE