What's your preferred shelter when camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is your preferred shelter for bushy camping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I ticked the 'bivvy and tarp' option as that is my default set-up. If I know I'm going to be in the woods, then I usually take a tarp and hammock because it's so much more comfortable. If there's a question about the availability of trees, then the hammock stays at home and I slump on the ground. The tarp is easily pitched using trekking poles, so trees are not always needed for that. I tend to use tents less and less now but have to admit that I've never curled up under a blanket by the fire with the stars for company. Maybe that's something for the future - definitely not this summer, though!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I do not know what to pick in the poll as i dont really have one that i use all the time , so i will pick other ,one thing that never changes with me is that i will always be a ground dweller
Here is some of my set ups

If i am going light weight its my cuban fibre solomid which weighs next to nothing
DSCF1534.jpg

Sometimes just a big tarp and bivvy bag
lochlomandapril2011002-1.jpg

Or a one man tent
DSC00275-1.jpg

And for a bit of comfort camping the two man tent and all the kit you can carry
DSC00081.jpg

Or just a poncho and bivvy bag does fine
WHW002-1.jpg

Another way to set the poncho up if the weather is a bit on the wild side
WHW020.jpg

Last edited:
L

Les Paul

Well for me, it's been a tarp and bivi bag for years now, but I recently tried a hammock and I don't think I've ever felt comfort like it, so a hammock may well be my next purchase.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
If i am going light weight its my cuban fibre solomid which weighs next to nothing
DSCF1534.jpg

Im looking for another shelter and was considering the Solomid. How does it hold up in inclement weather? Open Moorland, exposed mountains etc?

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Im looking for another shelter and was considering the Solomid. How does it hold up in inclement weather? Open Moorland, exposed mountains etc?

Its stood up to the worst weather scotland has to fling at it ,with no problems so far ,the duo mid is very good to, if your looking for a bit more room for not alot of extra weight

Jason

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its stood up to the worst weather scotland has to fling at it ,with no problems so far ,the duo mid is very good to, if your looking for a bit more room for not alot of extra weight
Jason

I'll take a look at the doumid then. This is my latest 'lightweight' set up. But I need something more substantial for wind. I wish we had a real 'treeline' in the UK, like they do in the USA.

Untitled.jpg
[/IMG]

P8312022.jpg
[/IMG]

P8312015.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use different set ups dependant on terrain.

Its normally a tent though, so i voted for that. But sometimes just a tarp and kip mat.

I've just acquired a hammock though, and though i sleep on my stomach, thought i would give it a go. Plenty of times, when out hiking, i end up in the open in a tent. Those wooded hillsides are out of bounds due to the slope and no pitching grounds. So thats the reason for the hammock.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
When I travel alone or when the weather looks like it’s going to be wet I normally take a tent, but the tarp is far better as a gathering point and social centre even chucking it down they can be great fun “natural ceilidh“ tents tend to be a bit insular even claustrophobic.

Ps I like the look of JAG009 Poncho setup very compact..

Last edited by a moderator:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
After spending a week travelling round the country working I'd have to go with Ford Transit Hi Top.

I suspect that I might have missed the point though.

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
Only a fairly recent convert to Hammocking but if i can find two tree's i'm happy. No more tossing and turning.

Surv:vor

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 14, 2012
England
Due to suffering a fractured spine, and then undergoing major surgery some 20yrs ago, I cannot sleep on the ground. In which case I have two setups. One is a tent with folding bedchair, and the other involves a lightweight reclining chair and poncho. I do wonder how I'd do in a hammock which is something I intend to test in the not too distant future...

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I wish I had more opportunities to build and sleep in natural shelters (so preferred, but not most frequented!), otherwise I use a hammock and tarp, and then if i'm just quickly passing through and the weather is probably going to be nice I like to bivi... I still have the bivi, just in case it does decide to rain, then I can just roll over, pull the bivi tight around my head and watch water trickle past my nose :(

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Tent for me everytime: wind, wet and mozzies kept out. My other half hates tents as being claustrophobic. Sometimes compromise by using tent with doors wide open, but she prefers the campervan every time - now if I could think of a way to carry it up a mountain trail.....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple of hours to go before this closes, it's interesting to see tarps and tents neck and neck but hammocks actually having the most votes.

Only 154 votes so not an accurate reflection of our demographic by any means, still I did expect to see ground dwelling tarp setups to be the most common.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE