What's your preferred shelter when camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is your preferred shelter for bushy camping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
i have tried a hammock and tarp setup, but my back doesn't agree. And i do feel very comfertable in a tent, nice and protected. Although when i'm out alone i prefer sleeping under a tarp, but on the ground. I'm going with the tent.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Hammock and tarp for me. I wake up too stiff if I sleep on the ground and tents are too claustrophobic. However, I defend the right of all to sleep how they wish. Having said all that I do carry a bivy just in case!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I currently use an Argos Tiger Paws one man tent I got from a charity shop, and very cosy it is too. I supplement it with a tarp for sitting under.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Made to my spec. Tenth Wonder triple base XL Green Hornet hammock fitted with 10mm x 50mm seamless stainless steel rings, home made tree huggers (2500 kg bs 1" webbing), home made very long 5mm Dyneema whoppie slings (2600 kg bs); XXL Sargasso tarp with added side pull outs. Ian Dent-Willoughby cocoon sleeping bag, made 14" wider by Snugpack (originally 5'10" round, my shoulders are 6'1") : When it gets really cold, bespoke Extreem Outdoor Clothing Field Smock and salopets with a thoughtfully fitted by Keith, removable bib at the back for use in a hammock MOD Arctic tent booties, army stretcher pillow, Thermalite Phantom camo self inflating mat, Honey/Hive stove good to go...

Tenth Wonder on holiday contact via Ebay

Extreme O.C. review by Beer Monster http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18622

Exteme @http://www.ebolcastle.co.uk/extremecc/index1024.htm

Honey/Hive @http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product397.asp

Thermalite virtually any army/camping stores

MOD Arctic tent booties on Ebay

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
started on the ground,

dabbled with the hammy, but i,m a snorer and the hammock just makes it worse,...

so i,m back on the ground,

bivi bag,and basha all the way,....

plus i cant do with the whole wazzing in a bottle that seems to be fashionable of late,..

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
This is for me,

393183_10150455267679073_990579099_n.jpg

dabbled with a hammock for a couple of trips but just never felt settled, so will keep it for boats and jungles,

557338_10150852498034073_549392290_n.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
started on the ground,

dabbled with the hammy, but i,m a snorer and the hammock just makes it worse,...

so i,m back on the ground,

bivi bag,and basha all the way,....

plus i cant do with the whole wazzing in a bottle that seems to be fashionable of late,..

Is it because it is too easy to spill it?

541086_10150852477274073_522236467_n.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
do you have a large library of pictures that document my "camping in the woods with knives and alcohol" ,..or "bushcrafting" as some people call it,..ha

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
ive tried hammock a few times but always prefer sleeping on the ground with bivi and basha with a roll mat shoved in side.mainly for quick and ease and lightweight.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I like my surroundings neat and tidy, therefore I prefer a tent. I'm also a fussy sleeper and can't stand too many adjustments while sleeping. A tent is also easy to pitch and a better environment in bad weather. But I understand everyone, tried bivying and it's not for me, haven't tried a hammock but I will some day. It just seems that you have to take too many things and worry about too many different things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE