What's your poison?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, what do people here drink? Like favourite drink be it alcoholic, hot, cold or used hydraulic fluid. Mines Titanic Plum Porter. Or tea with milk and 1.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Good thread, depends on the time / occasion / mood.......................and funds, love a Laphroaig, too much ;) sloe gin, especially in the cold after beating ( a lifetime ago it seems ) apart from that a good cider, Old Rosie, wow she packs a punch :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Good thread, depends on the time / occasion / mood.......................and funds, love a Laphroaig, too much ;) sloe gin, especially in the cold after beating ( a lifetime ago it seems ) apart from that a good cider, Old Rosie, wow she packs a punch :)
You have taste sir! Apart from possibly the old Rosie. I love cider but it's not massively keen on me and Rosie hates me more than most!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
3 main ones in order of preference... Bourbon, black rum and tequila... although I do like craft ales, red wine and gin.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Problem is dewi I like most everything :rofl: barring lager, pishwater! Same applies to food XD

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Cider (preferably from small local producers), or vintage port. Or Sloe gin. I'm a big fan of the beech leaf liqueurs too. But not whisky. I've tried lots of them, including some expensive and good ones from some good whisky-loving friends of mine. Hated all of them.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Tea with milk, i guess i am one of those anomalies in life, a sober Geordie.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good idea for a thread. I don't drink that much these days but I still enjoy the odd tipple.
A good whisky with a splash of water is always nice, a Speyside malt for preference as the island malts are a wee bit too peaty for my taste. A good G&T or a dark rum and coke if I'm after a long refreshing drink. Sad as some may see it I do like the odd cocktail. Some friends and I in the village have an annual martini contest. We all make various flavoured gins and vodkas and try to make it at least through to late afternoon before needing a nap.
On the non hard stuff I no longer drink tea or coffee at home. But if out a good black coffee of nice tea hits the spot. I do drink a fair bit of boiled water or just plain old cold H2O.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the mornings, several big mugs of coffee with a touch of sugar. Much butt-scratching and looking out at the mountain ranges
which surround out village (if foggy, more coffee and wait until the fog burns off.)
Coffee contains brain cells, very important nutrient.
Suppers:
Short glass, 6 ice cubes, slice of navel orange, flood with dry vermouth (grease for the cook).
1 glass of red, mostly Chile, with supper = the end.

Last edited:

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
I like a good single malt myself, the time of year and mood dictates which. I'll probably get an Old Pulteny next as the Autumn weather sets in...

As for non-alcoholic, espresso or lots and lots of tea :D

Last edited:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
A while ago my wife bought a juicer. A load of apples a few carrots a lemon a lime and a good chunk of ginger freshly juiced up poured over crushed ice is hard to beat.

I've fallen out with juicing as it's a bit expensive just to make a drink - and I'm a tight git.

water, really really cold - I like the winter as in the NE Scotland the water's very cold straight out the tap.

Alcoholic wise I like an IPA

A spirit is good if I'm walking as it's lighter than beer.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
water, really really cold - I like the winter as in the NE Scotland the water's very cold straight out of the tap.

Tap water up here we often take for granted. I did 'till I moved to Kent for a while and the chalky white gunk that came out of the tap was 'orrible!
The farm I lived on up in Morayshire had the sweetest water I've ever tasted. Straight out of the well. Wonderfull stuff.
Used to spend my New Years in snowholes years back. Would always try to find a lump of clear Scottish ice to bring in and break up to put in my dram to see out the auld year. :D
Have always drunk from the burns up here. If the water wasn't that great I used to keep a tub of Creamola foam to mix in. Tasted braw on a swelterin' hot day.
Glad I live up here where the waters good.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't drink alcohol, tea, or coffee, so it can be difficult to get a nice drink when I'm out with others. The only palatable non-alcholic beer is the Erdinger, but the cost is outrageous. When I'm at home, a nice mix of lemon and honey in hot water is a good tea substitute. Apart from that, cordial type drinks from foraged whatever are nice, elderflower etc. :)

The only thing I miss is nice red wine. There is just no nonalcoholic comparison.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Tap Water everyday, Right now my poison is Whisky. I dont drink carbonated pop or diluted anymore. and i'm on the wagon for a few months or longer. Health thing. The BMI thread gave me a kick in the pants i needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE