Whats your favourite piece of winter clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
We rarely use special clothes for winter. Just wear more!

But my Caribou mitts my wife makes me for winter I would not like to be without. They are best. Each is tied to a rawhide string which goes up the jacket sleeve and down the other sleeve to the other mitt. Never loose them that way. Also means if you need to use your fingers to take a shot quickly you can take them off without worrying about them blowing away or getting wet. Lose glove when out hunting or trapping at -40c its hard to do things.

When I was younger the other bit of kit I liked were our winter moccasins my mother made from the back fur of Caribou. These were excellent but never lasted more than one season. These days I use hunting boots from the store.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
We rarely use special clothes for winter. Just wear more!

But my Caribou mitts my wife makes me for winter I would not like to be without. They are best. Each is tied to a rawhide string which goes up the jacket sleeve and down the other sleeve to the other mitt. Never loose them that way. Also means if you need to use your fingers to take a shot quickly you can take them off without worrying about them blowing away or getting wet. Lose glove when out hunting or trapping at -40c its hard to do things.

When I was younger the other bit of kit I liked were our winter moccasins my mother made from the back fur of Caribou. These were excellent but never lasted more than one season. These days I use hunting boots from the store.

You'll have to get some of your old photos out Joe, and show us, as I bet you've got some very interesting ones.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hestra Falt guide gloves, an Aclima hat, Woolpower tops and, covering the lot on gnarly days, a Empire Canvas Works Ventile jacket. This lot allows me to be warm, dry and quiet: what's not to like?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
For Really foul weather I've got a gill OS1 pair of trousers and OS2 jacket, good for long days, bad weather dog walking and getting buckets of cold salty water thrown at you.

rg598

Native
Patagonia DAS Parka: 1lb 13oz; Primaloft One fill (older model); packs up very small; saved me from some serious frostbite this past winter.

IMG_8141%255B4%255D.jpg

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi All. Its good to see when reading through the posts that there are many inexpensive items that are peoples favourites. Just goes to show that its not always the most expensive gear that does the job well!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Looks like them lowe alpine mountain caps get a few shouts on here might invest in one as the weather gets a bit colder

You can't go wrong mate. I work outside and my work one is never off my Head all winter, i'v head that for about nine years now.....t'other one is for best lol

Hi All. Its good to see when reading through the posts that there are many inexpensive items that are peoples favourites. Just goes to show that its not always the most expensive gear that does the job well!

Yep lots of cheap stuff works very well, which reminds me....
My most used winter work coat is an m65 jacket I got for very little and I wear a polish poncho (half a lavvu) all winter for night hunting, and they were about 20 quid for two!
Not forgetting the venerable norgee shirt or the swedish snow smock

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Shemagh, ecwcs jacket. Keela waterproof jacket. Usaf softshell trousers made by massif, it wasnt cold enough last year to use them, they are brand new and am itching to see how they do in a proper winter.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I do keep a British arctic parka along with my buffalo jacket in the boot of my car. If it all gets really cold and wild the combo is really effective. Very toasty if I break down. And I did stay very comfy in it at minus sixteen as it covers my legs better than my hill coats. The bum flap stops the wind blowing up the nethers too!
Far too heavy to carry very far though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE