Whats your favourite piece of winter clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi All.

Since the weather is getting cooler in the evening and mornings I have broke out the winter gear box and started to store away my summer camping stuff and replace it with my winter gear.

I have a few items that I really look forward to the winter season so I can use them again.

My all time favourite is my M1951 Fishtail parka that I have been wearing since 1981 and I can honestly say I haven't been cold or wet while doing so.

The only negative is the weight of the beast, 6lb when dry and the rest when it gets wet!

Whats your favourite winter clothing? Or is it just me!! (lol).:cool:

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Buffalo mountain jacket for bushy /green use as it's still indestructible after 20 years of abuse.
For hill use a Rab Alpine Generator belay jacket (the best idea for decades!) Or a very quilted ME down jacket, a real guilty pleasure as it's just so toasty and weighs next to nothing. Often ends up in a pack for cragging or summer nights when the temperature drops and you need a layer to get you from the campsite to the pub (overkill? Nah!)

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
Buffalo special 6 shirt with the swedish m90 hooded parka as my second. If hats count my merino and possum wool watchcap might be in the running also

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
This is hopefully going to be my daily jacket for this winter, I didn't get it till earlier this year so havnt Had much chance to test it but I'm sure it will be great
a2y2asyq.jpg

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I love all my winter gear but if I had to choose one thing it would be my Alpha Industries ECW Alaska parka that i bought in 2001, it's fully waterproof except the fake fur around your face which thankfully is removeable but that doesn't take away from the insane weight of it one bit even bone dry, i also love my merino wool 200gsm base layers (sadly these seem to need replaced every year thereabouts especially the pants) and hand knitted wool jumpers, i'm sure after this winter is through my Twodogs Wool Bushshirt will be included in that list along with my Grubs Snowline 8.5 boots, neither have had the full winter challenge yet

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
It used to be a plain old thinsulate wooly hat than I bought from asda. It was brilliant and lasted years. Then I lost it walking last year. Never found was as good.

Apart from that, my helly Hansen Lifa top. My winter staple. The first thing I reach for when it turns frosty.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Boring, but my lowe alpine mountain cap must rank as my most used if not favorite....buffalo mountain shirt and some heavy wool trousers I got from a re-enactors place years ago are up there too

red, Love that waistcoat mate...is it home made?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's great Hugh! Looks great and cosy. :)

I'd probably say everything is my favourite. Sounds stupid but when it's -5 or more a swanndri and the bison keep me warmer than warm. Everything else stays pretty much the same except muck boots get more play time. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE