Whats your camping tipple ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
6ed8b4fc28b4f308c70c945d31f21811.jpg

My sloe gin.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Would you mind sharing that reciepe ? looks lovely.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Would you mind sharing that reciepe ? looks lovely.
Sure, no problem .

(Not my '3rd generation, special family secret..... I got it out of an old cook book found in a charity shop some years ago, I multiplied the amounts to suit)

1.5kg of bletted sloes. I pick them when they're ripe, not after the first frost....

3ltrs of gin. Half decent gin, no need for the expensive stuff, but spend just a few more quid than Lidl own brand, its worth it.

700g of sugar. I use caster sugar.

Method.

1. Pick your sloes when they're ripe. If they look a bit dull and you can pop one, they're ripe. Take them home and freeze them for a few days. Defrost. You've got bletted sloes. Right when you want them. I always save enough in the freezer for a second batch later in the year.....

2. Get a handful of those sloes and crush them, seeds and all.

3. Add crushed sloes to sugar and pour in 700ml of water. Bring to a simmer and reduce to a syrup.

4. Pour sloes into a 5ltr kilner. Pour in the syrup while still warm. Give it a damn good stir, it will get a bit sticky and when it does, pour in your gin.

5. Give it all a nice stir and seal the lid. Set aside in a cupboard for a week.

6. Every day, give it a shake. Repeat every day for a week.

7. After a week, shake it only once a week. Not vigorously, just turn it upside down a few times gently. Shake it once a week for four months.

8. After four months, (I've been known to leave for five or five and a half months, due to forgetting when I bottled it....) strain it all through a muslin cloth into a pot. Strain it again in a clean bit of muslin into your bottles. Seal bottles and leave for a week.

9. DRINK IT.

This is how I do it BTW, I'm not saying its THE way to do it........ enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: scottpix and Toddy

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Billy o I take it that you use white rum ?
No, no, not that stuff ... dark rum. I am not exactly an afi of rum, being more a well-practiced if still recreational scotch-drinker, but I do like a nice, mid-priced, dark Venezuelan rum. They seem to have a knack. Wouldn't put apple juce in it though. Cheap dark rum for that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE