Whats this file used for

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
At Bolton Flea I picked up a file amongst some other bits which I spent the afternoon cleaning up and putting a handle on

NewFileandruler1.jpg

Its a millenicut so is for shifting large amounts of soft stuff like ally or brass but the shape is puzzling me. Its a hollowed out back casting. Anybody know what its intended for as I've not come across the shape before? The Maker is F.B. Tools, Sheffield, which I'm guessing is Firth Brown that was.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
View attachment 7546
Here is a picture of a commercial made one, I'm guessing the above has been handmade. I am only guessing though, but the farmers behind me uses a thing similar to the picture posted on his cattle

That's not a Farriers rasp it's a dental rasp for horses etc'

I guess the file may be a one off that someone modified to do a specific job. I've found quite a few tools that folk modified over the years.

Richard

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's definately not been modified in any way and has been cast in that shape, no signs of machining and theres a raised cast lip around the outline on the back.

The box of knackered tools I found it in had some bent smiths tongs in and some cold chisels but theres no way to know if it actually came from the same source. The guy selling it had no idea where it came from in the first place.

Cheers for the thoughts.

ATB

Tom

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've never seen or used a rasp that looks like that on horse's hooves - most of the rasps are long, and you use them with long strokes.

I have helped sort a horses teeth on many occasions, and the rasps did look a bit like that. They actually were a long rod with something like a holder at the end for the rasp bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE