whats the strangest thing you have removed from the wilds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
when on MOD land you always find kit that some one leaves behind after crash outs and stuff have picked up a lot of kit this way.

i've found loads of bungees, hexi burners etc whilst on exercise at longmoor just like that. but when i was in the cadets we found an SA80 with BFA and a full mag of blank still fitted. my sgt came across the poor sod who had mislaid it an hour later and helped the guy empty the contents of his wallet in return for his rifle :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Someone left a tent. It made me really nervous as it was just within view of where I had pitched, and I hadn't noticed it. Didn't want to go up in the dark incase I gave anyone a fright (myself included) so I waited to the following morning before having a look around. Very glad it was just a tent and no mutilated bodies.

Ruvio

Nomad
Having read the American forums amount of people that have found the sadly deceased, in 2001 when I was just 12, I found a jacket floating in a canal on a bindle near Huddersfield with my dad.
Sadly the occupant was still in it.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Myself and a mate were heading from Glen Pean to Inverie on Knoydart to buy some food, as the day before we'd been reduced to eating porridge someone had left in the bothy, when we found a tin of pineapple rings, a kit-kat and a roll of toilet paper sitting on top of a boulder in the desolation of Finiskaig.

My brother once thought he'd discovered hard evidence of the Loch Ness Monster when he found an elephant's foot umbrella stand on the banks of the loch near Invermorriston. Boy was he disappointed!

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I've also transported an abandoned cottage-tent, complete with smelly mattresses, blankets, clothing, a baby cot, etc from Glen Etive... made even more distasteful with the knowledge that the anti-camping National Trust Warden had driven past it twice a day since it had been left there. To be fair to him though, I never once saw him out of his Land-Rover on any other occasion.

Also in Glen Etive, years later, I had the disconcerting task of opening a collapsed tent to see if anyone was inside it. There was a sleeping bag, rucksac, clothing, stove and rotting food, etc, but thankfully no body. I got a phone call from Lochaber Moutain Rescue a week later to tell me they had traced the owner, who had no intention of ever encountering Scotland's most ferocious predator again. He had been Midgied!

I once found a cache of army rations in Torridon and took as much of the good stuff as I could carry in a webbing harness-thingy with pockets. 2 lads turned up at my camp and we stuffed our faces at the fire that night. In the morning, one of them, after spotting the webbing, told me that it was only a certain regiment that was issued with that particular kit. Needless to say we hid the evidence as quickly as we could and went our separate ways in something of a hurry!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've also transported an abandoned cottage-tent, complete with smelly mattresses, blankets, clothing, a baby cot, etc from Glen Etive... made even more distasteful with the knowledge that the anti-camping National Trust Warden had driven past it twice a day since it had been left there. To be fair to him though, I never once saw him out of his Land-Rover on any other occasion.

Also in Glen Etive, years later, I had the disconcerting task of opening a collapsed tent to see if anyone was inside it. There was a sleeping bag, rucksac, clothing, stove and rotting food, etc, but thankfully no body. I got a phone call from Lochaber Moutain Rescue a week later to tell me they had traced the owner, who had no intention of ever encountering Scotland's most ferocious predator again. He had been Midgied!

I once found a cache of army rations in Torridon and took as much of the good stuff as I could carry in a webbing harness-thingy with pockets. 2 lads turned up at my camp and we stuffed our faces at the fire that night. In the morning, one of them, after spotting the webbing, told me that it was only a certain regiment that was issued with that particular kit. Needless to say we hid the evidence as quickly as we could and went our separate ways in something of a hurry!

Classic tales mate and so true.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
It would surprise you just who is camping near you in full view at times never mind the rascals who are trying to hide.

Doesn't need to be in the wilds of Scotland.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
some people really should write their names on their body parts.

the strangest thing i have found was a fully set up fish tank in the middle of a wood in wales... fish and all, and one of them is still alive in my pond.
i have never found anything useful like a knife or axe (or spare body part) though :(

psy.

Jul 25, 2010
SE Sweden
I found a box full of knifemaking supplies, several blades, some leather and other stuff.
At least that's what I'll be telling my wife...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE