What's the Snow like in your neck of the wood's?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Morning,just went for my 1st Fag of the day and noticed we've got 8''s of snow with 2ft Drift's,What's it like in your area?.
Pic's to come,As I didn't want to wake my other half to borrow her phone,as my camera's rubbish on mine.
cheer's

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
8 inches? I got 8 feet deep in front of my house. Been away for a while.
My snow crew have done a 5-Star job for me.

I drive a 1997 GMC Suburban. Yes,that gigantic pig of a REAL SUV.
I can walk off the front yard onto the Burb's roof.

Kinda fun, isn't it? Plowing through what will all be gone soon?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sadly, nothing out of the ordinary up here for this time of year. At least we've had a little bit more total snowfall than the last few years.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Weird here; the road is completely blocked with drifts up to 4 foot but the wind has blown the snow completely clear from other areas. My Land Rover is sitting in a totally clear area of the drive surrounded by several feet of drifted snow!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Weird here; the road is completely blocked with drifts up to 4 foot but the wind has blown the snow completely clear from other areas. My Land Rover is sitting in a totally clear area of the drive surrounded by several feet of drifted snow!

This. Enough on the front lawn to make a half decent "snow grave" to sleep in though. Yes, yes I did.

Reactions: Shewie

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales

Same here.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
We only got a couple of inches but the wind has drifted it to a foot and a half in places. The wind is so savage that it's blowing the topsoil off the fields so we have brown snowdrifts.

Reactions: Robson Valley

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm at Bourn near Cambridge, maybe an inch, certainly no more.
Bitterly cold but otherwise fine. I count that as lucky.

All the best.

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty much as the rest of you have said about drifting for the first couple of days. Thing is though we've had a lot of thawing, and now the snow is kind of layered. So places where we cleared it are still blowing clear but elsewhere it's like a badly made meringue. Weird snow, doesn't make snowballs....and yes, I tried :)
Biting bitter cold wind out there though.

M

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Our snow has made snowballs, as the boss found out when he arrive this morning, with a three person greeting committee on the balcony as he was getting out of his jeep :)

I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can get to go play.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

Same here, a mixture of bare patches and knee to waist deep drifts and an evil ENE wind.

Just been out to feed next door’s sheep as the road is blocked - nice to able to start returning the many favours we owe.

Snow forecast for the next 24 hours and unlikely to melt for a day or two so I may get to try out the bargain pair of British Army snowshoes I got off eBay the other day! :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Getting worse here. I walked out to see how bad the roads are and even a good 4x4 will need a run up to get through some of the drifts. The hill to my house is bare pavement on one side and deep enough to bury a car in places on the other.

P1160368.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the pictures. The UK gets Mother Nature's back-hand, just like we do.
What are your temperatures like with this snowfall?
Here, it seems it has to warm up ( from -20C to -5C) to get snowfall.

-2C, high o/c, calm winds and guess what? More snow!
Been away 63 days. My snow crew has dug out the Burb, it starts. Snowbanks not 8' along the street.
Can't be 6' drifts in the back yard.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Had a decent dump here but it's all blown away now

Managed to kerb my car twice on the commute home Wednesday

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
The snows got us Thursday eve. It took three and a half hours to drive the distance that it usuay takes 20mins. The slightest of inclines was causing cars to lose traction. The only thing that moved the traffic along was a heroic group of lads, from the local houses, pushing people along.
I was OK in the landrover, but it was the hunderds of normal cars that were in front of me.

This morning, the overnight freezing rain had capped over the powder snow, turned all my cleared pathways to an ice ring, and encased the car in almost half an inch of solid ice. It took me two gallons of warm water to defrost the windscreen and another two to get the door de-iced enough to get in.
On the up side, there was so little traffic, that my trip into work was quicker than it's been for a long time!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Instead of water, what's recommended for your engine coolant system?
I still have 1/2 gallon of ethylene glycol, far superior to water a s coolant.
AND, you soak a rag and wipe every one of your door edges and door seals with it and your vehicle will not freeze shut.
An annual adventure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE