Whats the point of the cord/string around the top of a issue bivvy bag?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

lostplanet

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 18, 2005
2,186
275
55
Kent
exactly that, are you supposed to be able to make these bivvy bags seal or reduce the hole size ?
because I cant get the cord to move without fear of ripping the bivvy bag.

Has anyone managed to get the thing to close right up?



 
Last edited:
Swap the original lace for paracord or amsteel or other slippery cord and the opening will cinch up very nicely; right down to a nose & mouth opening if required.
 
+1 on what Ian said. I have a hemp cord that closes the top of my Veshmeshok pack when I first got it it was so damn stiff I thought I was going to rip the pack or break the cord. I thought about replacing it but it loosened up nicely. Replace the cord and you'll be fine.
 
Exactly the same recommendation as the rest of the guys...swap for a decent bit of paracord and you can't go wrong


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
next question, how did you replace with new cord? I looked at a tent pole threading kit... I have loads of cord.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE