What's the point in german Sniper sleeping bags?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
A friend game me one which has an integrated waterproof shell. I looked at it and thought, that it going to be both very hot and very sweaty. Has anyone had any good experiences with them?

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
yeah there is going to be some condensation, dont think you will be to hot the ones i saw were quite thin. dont think they are designed for sleeping in
think its just if the guy is lying out waiting for a shot he doesn't get to cold or wet. but try it out all the same yours may be different might turn out to
be a good bit of kit. all the best m8

I had one of these bags years ago and used them all the time at music festivals and drag racing events. wore it most of the day then crashed out somewhere at night after a few beers etc. Very often just slept out under the stars, nearly always cold after the beer blanket wore off though.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had a couple of those bags, ran a google image to check we're on the same page here and they're pretty good. Slept in one when I toured on the motorbike to Scotland and later in Wales. Slept on a roll mat in a tent and was fine. I liked the fact you could move about wearing it as an overcoat in the cold mornings.

I leant mine to my brother who stored in a damp place and it rotted out beyond salvaging so I binned it, that was back in 1990.

In my opinion they're pretty good for what they are, especially so since it's a freebie. I wouldn't trust that waterproof layer though.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Its strange how names for things change, when i were a lad, they were just called German Army sleeping bags. I wonder where the Sniper came in?
I would have thought it would be better for drivers and the like.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
Its strange how names for things change, when i were a lad, they were just called German Army sleeping bags. I wonder where the Sniper came in?

yep thats what i new them as
everthings sas,special forces and that sort of thing nowadays to make the walts feel good i suspect.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton

Yep same here. Thats what they where called when i was in the Cadets back in the dark ages.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
reminds me of a selk
selkbag3a__66428_std.gif

The SelkBag 3 is the ultimate in sleeping comfort and is the highest in quality of the Selk'Bag range. For those who would like to treat themselves to the comfort of a combination of white duck down and feather. The SelkBag 3's light weight and natural down allows for a more comfortable sleep on those longer trips.

Selk'Bag 3 Characteristics:

Total Weight: 1250 GSM.
Filling: White duck down, 90% down / 10% feather, 650g/pc
Shel / Lining: Nylon 320T / 44 X 33 deniers , soft touch, DOWNPROOF
Extreme Temp: -8.5 Degrees Celsius*
Limit Temp: +5.4 Degrees Celsius*
Comfort Temp: +9.6 Degrees Celsius*
Sizes: Small / Medium
Large / Extra Large

* As tested by European EN 13537 standard (EU NORM)

Size Guide:
These sizes are your actual height. If you are anything taller than these specified heights then it may be a little restrictive for you.

Small/Medium - up to 5ft 10
Large/Extra Large - up to 6ft 4

Feb 27, 2011
Salisbury

I agree.

My understanding was that they were for AVF drivers; having endured a few German winters in a place called Hohne they would be ideal for for use in armoured vehicles.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'd say that the bigger the surface area, the more heat will be lost. Looking at the specs for the Selk I'm not surprised that the temperatures quoted are relatively high. The same amount of fill in an ordinary bag would give you much more effective insulation. So if you want something to sleep in that's warm, this isn't the ideal. If you want to be able to move around (I might want to get up for a brew in the snow and be too idle to get dressed) then they might have something to offer. Personally I'd go for something like a Jerven bag, which offers much of the best of both by just having a few extra zips in a roomy bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE