What's the most versatile handle material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 6, 2013
Salisbury
Guys,

What's the most versatile material for the scales on a knife that could potentially be used in arctic/desert/jungle conditions? Ideally on a woodlore pattern full tang bushcraft blade? Is it even possible to get a material that would suit all these conditions?

Thanks.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I believe it's G10.

But I doubt you'd have much of a problem with materials like micarta either.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just sent my JLT(self designed blade)off th Stew of this parish for him to change the scales. It currently has reindeer scales, which look lovely, but a to smooth, & if my hands are cold or damp, they become slippy. I'm looking to have micarta/g10 put on it.

Rob

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I always go for plasticised wood, or a very dense wood like Desert Ironwood. I think they will do more or less everything the man made stuff like micarta and G10 will do and add a bit of beauty too. I would go with brass corby rivets to avoid rust and add strength to the full tang, even if the epoxy should fail for whatever reason.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I like Micarta, some of it and done well can be just as easy on the eye as tree wood…. had my micarta handled blades in cold of below -20 and up to +35 including getting wet and have no issues with them at all.
But then I have had Puukko type knives out in the same and had no problems either

I just got a BCNW-01 in Desert Ironwood and been out camping the last two weekends in -20 with no issues.

I hear G10 is actually better/tougher than micarta.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE