What's the matter with this piece of wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I fancied doing a piece of carving so I went for a wander in the woods and came away with this piece of deadwood. On the surface it looked perfect for maybe making a small cup out of, but when I cut through it it has dark strands running all the way through it.

DSCF6458.jpg

Would I be right in thinking that this, whatever it is, precludes using this piece of wood for something involving food?

Perhaps I can still carve an ornament out of it. The discolouration might work in my favour there....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It just looks like a great bit of spalting to me!
A great looking bit of woodwork is the end result.
The colour is caused by fungus that is attacking the wood but which is - as far as I know - harmless.
The wood is a little weaker than it would have been but the fungus is inactive once the wood is harvested...I have spalted wood eating utensils and aint dead yet
Go for it is my advice :)
It also makes great knife handles, decorations, ornaments etc

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yes, as John says its spalted. Nothing wrong with it apart from it can make things structurally weak, so as long as what you make isnt going to have hard use, say as an axe handle then its all good. :)

I spalt my own wood ;)

Heres a piece of spalted hornbeam i have, its going to be used for knife handles once stabilised ( cracks running along the spalting)
I also have some Yew spalting in the cellar :)
P1010883.jpg

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As mentioned its spalted, its the boundary of the fungus growth.

Some people like and pay a premium for it, personally I think it looks like its been attacked by a six year old with a felt tip pen.

Personal thing I suppose.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
:lmao: Some of it can be an excellent effort for a 6 year old though :D

To be fair, I thought it was OK right till the point when my carpentry tutor mentioned the felt tip pen thing, after that I couldn't get it out of my head and every time I see it it just pops up.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ah, but the artist is dead when the wood is seasoned, thus the value increases ;)

What i like is the uniqueness of the piece. Each one is different. Different wood, different colours, different patterns, massive variables. Different effects depending on how you cut the wood. Imagine the nicest burls with spalting, it stands them apart. :)

To be fair, I thought it was OK right till the point when my carpentry tutor mentioned the felt tip pen thing, after that I couldn't get it out of my head and every time I see it it just pops up.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ah, but the artist is dead when the wood is seasoned, thus the value increases ;)

What i like is the uniqueness of the piece. Each one is different. Different wood, different colours, different patterns, massive variables. Different effects depending on how you cut the wood. Imagine the nicest burls with spalting, it stands them apart. :)

Aye, fair comment. I like a nice burl but as yet not seen any that I have thought have been improved by the addition of fungus. Opinions do vary a lot and as yet nobody has designated me as the nations taste judge it might be possible that I don't speak for everyone.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Should look good when you have been working on it, good luck.
I am collecting some spalted beech tomorrow from a young farmer friend, wonder what I'll be making with it, kuksa me thinks.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As you say, each to their own. :)

I'm always searching for the perfect piece, probably never find it :)

Aye, fair comment. I like a nice burl but as yet not seen any that I have thought have been improved by the addition of fungus. Opinions do vary a lot and as yet nobody has designated me as the nations taste judge it might be possible that I don't speak for everyone.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I was asked by the chap who told me, not to tell anyone. Trade secret n all that. No offence intended, but i said i wouldn't disclose it. I stick by my word as best i can. :) Nearly let it slip once, got a rollocking.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
It started to pour with rain, so I rigged my tarp in the back garden and set up my Biolite stove underneath it for warmth. I then sat under it for an hour or two carving at this piece of wood. The neighbours must think I'm strange ;)

DSCF6462.jpg

Given that I've only made (bad) spoons before, I think this project will take me a while. I'm in no hurry.

It is not a massive piece of wood, about the size of a large whisky tumbler. But if I'm careful I think it could turn out as a quite elegant small cup. I'm undecided if Ill try and give it a handle or if I'll just make it a wooden tumbler. The area to the right could be shaped into a handle, but that would take away from the already small volume.

Assuming I don't ruin it, it might even make a good anniversary gift for my wife. We'll have been married 10 years in the middle of next month.

Last edited:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Shouldn't you split the piece of log in halves then carve you cup or kuska, otherwise it might crack along the pith in the middle, I might be right or wrong here, someone with more experience will come along soon to correct me.
Cheers.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Stabilisation is a process in which dry wood is placed in a pressure chamber with some form of resin. The pressure forces the resin into all the places moisture used to be throughout the wood. Basically turning your wood into a lump of plastic, that is actually wood. This stops the wood swelling/shrinking moving, cracking etc, also makes it waterprooof and impervious to the elements. Stabilised wood isn't cheap, your looking at £25 at least just for enough wood to make a knife handle with.

Some examples of stabilised wood here.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st...TB0QWAm4CQCg&ved=0CEIQ_AUoAQ&biw=1207&bih=876
So, what is stabilisation, and how would you do it to a cracked bit of wood?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Shouldn't you split the piece of log in halves then carve you cup or kuska, otherwise it might crack along the pith in the middle, I might be right or wrong here, someone with more experience will come along soon to correct me.
Cheers.

Splitting the wood is recommended, as it reduces the likelihood of splitting from the centre grain, but if the wood is well seasoned (or dried carefully after finishing) it isn't necessary. I have a kuksa made with centre grain that hasn't split, and most of my turning is centre grain as well.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Stabilisation is a process in which dry wood is placed in a pressure chamber with some form of resin. The pressure forces the resin into all the places moisture used to be throughout the wood. Basically turning your wood into a lump of plastic, that is actually wood. This stops the wood swelling/shrinking moving, cracking etc, also makes it waterprooof and impervious to the elements. Stabilised wood isn't cheap, your looking at £25 at least just for enough wood to make a knife handle with.

Some examples of stabilised wood here.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st...TB0QWAm4CQCg&ved=0CEIQ_AUoAQ&biw=1207&bih=876

Thank you. Not really practical for an occasional hobbyist like me then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE