whats the fascination with weight?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I have also had one semi-serious accident in the hills and I didn't even have a pack with me, as I recall. However, as regards this entire thread, the irony is that a hundred years ago, more or less, the only lightweight camping gear, at least that which was advertised as such, was English. So you're all correct in that weight has always been a consideration and it was recognized that every choice had both an advantage and a drawback. Probably most of, no matter what we had, would only carry a certain weight and nothing more and that certain weight might be called our "working maximum load." I say that without meaning to create any new technical language. Of course, it would be a maximum because chance are, you'll come home with less than you started, assuming you eat and drink like other people. And here's another point:

If you read the early outdoor writers, they seem to have never carried water, although Kephart does mention canteens (water bottles). But he never lists one among his gear lists and neither does Sears. But Colin Fletcher and he spoke at length about carrying water. But he also walked in dry places, too.

The early writers (and Colin Fletcher is approaching that point) had no "modern gear," although gas stoves have been around since before my father was born as have been rucksacks with frames and even waistbelts. But they didn't have stainless steel, titanium, plastic, nylon, parachute cord, fleece (except for real fleece) or rubber soles. Aluminum had arrived on the scene by around 1900 but tinned steel or iron, plain steel and enamel ware was still more common. On the other hand, they do not seem to have been much for long distance hiking either. Most of the emphasis was on camping. The first thru-hike of the Applachian Trail wasn't until after WWII but books were still being written about using animal transport for camping. Oddly enough, one book I have published I think by the Sierra Club is entitled, "Going light with pack and burro." There were lots of prospectors wandering around the Western desert (in the U.S., not Egypt) who might be described as long distance hikers but they weren't backpackers and that was still going on after WWII, too. We tend to forget animal packing these days.

There are, however, those who make a fetish over carrying very little, which is fine until they have to rely on other people to get them through difficulties. That's cheating.

Last edited:

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I'm a firm believer of "Carry light freeze at night!" But there's a also a point where if weight can be brought down ill defo try and keep unnecessary weight off my back. Things like u just bought my down tq and uq and bought a smaller, lighter bag and literally invested in a dehydrator to keep my food light and last longer and save money and eat healthy. I'm 29 and don't have any health issues but tbh I want to stay that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I find that both safety and fashion have little to do with the weight issue. You can be just as safe regardless of the weight of your pack. There are right ways to do it, and there are wrong ways to do it. For every person who has to call for help because they didn't bring enough gear, there is another that never got further than the parking lot because he couldn't lift his gear.

Similarly, with fashion, the factors cancel themselves out. For every person who goes ultralight to impress his friends, there is another decked out in wool and canvas to impress his friends.

All of those things cancel each other out. There are people who do stupid tings, who are unprepared, who lack the knowledge, or who are buying gear to look the part, regardless of whether we are talking about someone going ultralight, or super heavy. Ultimately it comes down to the practical considerations: if you have to carry your gear over long distances, then weight matters a lot; if you don't then it doesn't matter.

That about sums up my thoughts too Ross.

P.s, Loved the piece on your blog about the evolution of the backpack, good work sir!

Best.

Chris.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I dont bother to much about weight - my kits usually in the car or on the bike. if i know im going to have to walk a good bit then ill adapt. Horses for courses n all that. The main thing for me is being outside doing something i like whether im on a day trip/stroll or camping out. If its fun its great n dont fret the weight :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think things such as it cookware don't make a huge difference in comparison to stainless steel. Yes the to is lighter but when the bags on your back will you really feel a difference?

For me I think a lightweight pack makes a big difference as sometimes milliatry packs can weigh a good few kilos on their own which is suite a lot really.

It depends on the state of your back and legs :D. Mine have osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis so Ti and as light as possible makes the difference between possible and impossible. I do understand though that if you're normally (or extra-normally) fit such considerations are not nearly so necessary. If I'm within easy reach of the car then weight becomes far less important but, having got the ultralight kit, I use it ... except when I decide to go for the cast iron griddle and Dutchie over the communal camp fire :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE