What's the best way to post a knife ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Oh good point :)

What happens about something that has increased in value since purchase though? I'm not suggesting that mine has, but many do.

cheers,
M

Interesting question. I've just checked their terms and conditions and it says that they pay the market value at the time it was lost, which would seem to mean that it is the actual cost/value of replacement rather than what you payed. I doubt that they would make it easy though.

here's the wording copied from the special delivery t&c..

Loss or damage

6.1 If any item you have posted under this agreement is lost or damaged while it is
with us, and you provide satisfactory proof that you posted it and we received it,
we will pay you compensation for the item and its contents based on the actual
loss you suffer. The compensation will not be more than the lower of:

6.1.1 the market value of the item (not including the market value of any message or
information it carries) at the time the item was lost; or

6.1.2 £50 for Special Delivery 9am, £500 for Next Day Special Delivery or the maximum
amount of additional compensation you have paid for in line with clause 5.2.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Interesting point. I've just checked their terms and conditions and it says that they pay the market value at the time it was lost, which would seem to mean that it is the actual cost/value of replacement rather than what you payed. I doubt that they would make it easy though.

here's the wording copied from the special delivery t&c..

Loss or damage

6.1 If any item you have posted under this agreement is lost or damaged while it is
with us, and you provide satisfactory proof that you posted it and we received it,
we will pay you compensation for the item and its contents based on the actual
loss you suffer. The compensation will not be more than the lower of:

6.1.1 the market value of the item (not including the market value of any message or
information it carries) at the time the item was lost; or

6.1.2 £50 for Special Delivery 9am, £500 for Next Day Special Delivery or the maximum
amount of additional compensation you have paid for in line with clause 5.2.

Already been through that with them. If it is a one off or unique item where market value cannot be ascertained, then they will take a provenance from the maker as to the value of said item or the making of the same at current retail. If you are in touch with that maker, then you are more than covered.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So, Chris worked on the design with Spyderco and he turned the blank into my knife and put his mark on it.
I don't want to lose the knife, but if it all goes wrong then Chris's value ought to count.

cheers.
M

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Already been through that with them. If it is a one off or unique item where market value cannot be ascertained, then they will take a provenance from the maker as to the value of said item or the making of the same at current retail. If you are in touch with that maker, then you are more than covered.

That's good to know. Do you know how they ascertain market value in general for things that may not be unique/one off but are collectable or have risen in value?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So, Chris worked on the design with Spyderco and he turned the blank into my knife and put his mark on it.
I don't want to lose the knife, but if it all goes wrong then Chris's value ought to count.

cheers.
M

More than enough ;)

That's good to know. Do you know how they ascertain market value in general for things that may not be unique/one off but are collectable or have risen in value?

If it was a buy or trade, they will ask to see proof. failing that they will use online RRP and valuation at auction. If that is not available, they will contact manufacturers and online auction sites.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
More than enough ;)

If it was a buy or trade, they will ask to see proof. failing that they will use online RRP and valuation at auction. If that is not available, they will contact manufacturers and online auction sites.

Good stuff, it sounds like it should be relatively straightforward in most cases then.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Good stuff, it sounds like it should be relatively straightforward in most cases then.

It is, but still takes time in getting your compensation. The good news is, Special Delivery items are treated like the crown jewels as it is a major way in which RM can lose money if the system is in the slightest way sloppy. Therefore, it is not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE