Whats the best leather for drawstring pouches?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As title, i'm wanting to make a few pouches for the bits and bats in my pack. Not sure whats the best leather for this kind of thing.

Obviously it needs to be thin/flexible so are skins better than thin leather?

I will be wanting to oil finish them aswell so will this have an impact on choice?

Cheers :)

scottforsythe1

Forager
Oct 5, 2009
greenock
hi hillbill
go to your local furniture shop and ask for anay old leather sampel books thats is wear i get my leather for my pouches from scott forsythe

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use leather from old leather jackets, which you can get in boot fairs or charity shops.
Just make sure you get one with large flat panels of leather than ones made from smaller patches of leather.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use leather from old leather jackets, which you can get in boot fairs or charity shops.
Just make sure you get one with large flat panels of leather than ones made from smaller patches of leather.

I've got some black and grey leather from jackets, I may use that too. Thanks :)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
If you use samples you don't have any choice on the way they come out and are usually chemically tanned and not veg/ Which means they are a just as they are and you wont be able to dye or tool or anything like that.

For pouches that may well be fine - let me know if you cant get hold of come as i have a box full of the samples mentioned above which your welcome to some of, dont go spending money, pretty much every colourand nice and thick. I also have leather reclaimed from a sofa which is good for this kinda stuff but is earmarked.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've spotted some italian upholstery leather on ebay, 57sq/ft of it pre dyed a colour i like for a reasonable price. Think i will go with this as i can use it to line some canvas packs i plan on making aswell.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There was a three piece brown leather suite in a garden opposite the dentists the other day. Even though it had six inches of snow on it my first thoughts were how many bags I could get out of it.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is cracking stuff, if a little variable in thickness and quality but iirc its veg tanned and still very soft and flexible, almost like buckskin.

You can dye it any shade you like too.

Oh and while its not free its not too pricey either:cool:

Certainly my first choice ahead of chrome tanned upholstery or clothing type leathers.

Made this a while back:

PA010134copyd.jpg

Very soft and very strong too.

Highly recommended;)

atb

R.B.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That looks alright mate. Will have to look into that. Nice work on the bag too :)

I just ordered some of this before you posted...Typical :D I'll be making some to sell on too.

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

L4.jpg

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
If you use samples you don't have any choice on the way they come out and are usually chemically tanned and not veg/ Which means they are a just as they are and you wont be able to dye or tool or anything like that.

For pouches that may well be fine - let me know if you cant get hold of come as i have a box full of the samples mentioned above which your welcome to some of, dont go spending money, pretty much every colourand nice and thick. I also have leather reclaimed from a sofa which is good for this kinda stuff but is earmarked.

Just awaiting my late Christmas presents, leathercraft tools and I would be very interested in taking some of that old leather off your hands if tha would be fine. I am Huntingdon and so I could easily collect it from you :)

Cheers

Craeg

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Just awaiting my late Christmas presents, leathercraft tools and I would be very interested in taking some of that old leather off your hands if tha would be fine. I am Huntingdon and so I could easily collect it from you :)

Cheers

Craeg

-------------------------

No worries give me a PM,
Give me a hint if you like any particular colours - its mainly the garish ones left. Well ones i dont like much anyhow although there must be at least 30 so still quite a verity.

I dont mind shelling a few bits out although some little swaps might be nice - not a requirement though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE