Whats the best canvas to get to make a tarp with?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
Hey all,

Fancied trying to make a tarp similar to the one on Northwest Woodsman's website, but i'm unsure about what canvas to actually buy?

Anybody made one and can recommend a type of canvas to use?

Also, anybody that has made a tarp, what sort of stiches do you use for the sides, reinforcments etc?

Got a cracker sewing maching but never used it!!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
There's a number of things to consider, and they all depend on what your needs are.
Man made or natural? Man made materials are generally lighter in weight, but are also more likely to melt from sparks. Cotton canvas is heavier (especially after heavy rain) but won't get spark damage.

When I made one for myself and one for Rancid Badger, I used a heavyweight tent canvas. The cotton canvas was 1 metre wide, so for mine (3x3) I cut three lengths of three metres. For Rancid Badger's (4x4) I cut four lengths of four metres.

To sew them so the seams won't come apart, I first placed two pieces together and sewed with a straight stitch 1" in from the selvage edge. Then I laid the two pieces out flat, tucked the seam under by half an inch and sewed the seam down along the turned edge.

I repeated that operation for all the other pieces so I had a large section of canvas made up from 1 metre strips.

I then hemmed all round the four sides.

I then cut a few long lengths of scrap canvas 3" wide, folded in half lengthways, then tucked the edges into the fold and sewed down the length twice. That gave me a strip of canvas with 4 layers. These would become my tying points.

I cut these strips into 8" lengths so I had 12 lengths (for the 3x3) and 16 lengths (for the 4x4). These lengths were folded in half so that 4" were for the loop with two x 2" for the sewing down part.

I positioned them on the canvas and sewed them in place with a single pass. I then went over each of them with a zig-zag stitch much like you find on car seat belts, so they wouldn't rip off under stress.

I hid where they were sewn on by stitching a small triangle of scrap canvas over them, but that is purely decorative and serves no functional purpose.

I could have used brass grommets, but having tried that before, and having had them rip out in strong winds, I opted for the more labour intensive, but also more secure canvas loops.

The thread I used was white bonded polyester. Unless You have an industrial machine, that's probably all a domestic sewing machine can handle. However, bonded polyester thread is plenty strong.

Make your stitches fairly wide (about an eighth of an inch) and check your tension regularly and the seams should hold well.

The only other thing I would add is to make sure you have masses of room all around the machine. When you are sewing the lengths together you will need the entire thing laid out flat and you'll need to roll one of the pieces length ways so it will pass through the arm of the machine, so it will need loads of space in front and also behind the machine. The garden is a good place to work on a dry day. Also don't let the stitching foot do all the work. You will need to feed the material through by hand because of the weight.

Good luck with it, have fun and show us pictures when you have done it.

Eric

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
Cheers for the reply Eric, you've given me everything i need to start the making of it.

Realy fancied the canvas tarp just to see what it would be like. I use the Ozzy hootchie at the mo but i'm keen to go back to natural materials and fibres, just to see what there like.

Many thanks for your reply and will get pic's up as soon as i get materials together.

Tent canvas, is that the only type of canvas to get or is there a more lighter weight canvas? Not sure about what types are out there:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE