What's in your hip flask?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Getting all my kit ready for a long weekend hanging in the Galloway Forest next weekend and I came to a conundrum!

What to put in the hip flask to keep the cold out on a night! :)

My choices are either

Taliska 10 year old (got the bottle from the distillery when we went to sky for my 30th last year!

Or

Quarter cask Laphroaig

Or if I really wanted to mix it up there is the 3L of 3 year old slow gin in the shed!

Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Got me wondering what others like in theirs?

Cheers

LB

Talisker is too sweet for me and despite it being my local distillery, I'd go with the cask strength laphroaig, and add a dash of water. Nothing in my hip flask at the moment as a good dram doesn't keep well in the metal. It's Bunahaven 46º I've in the bat cave at present. £25 a pop from the west end garage in Dingwall ;) Consistently the cheapest whisky outlet in the UK (no vested interests).

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
I'll apologise first but I really dont seem to like Scotch or Irish Whiskey, it all seems much to earthy I think, just the smell can make me recoil and shudder.

My flask is usually empty so it feels i'm constantly filling it with a good bourbon. Wild Turkey 101 is a favourite, or Makers Mark.
JD never lasts long either, especially Gentleman Jack, deffo worth the extra money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
I'll apologise first because I actually dont like Scotch or Irish whisky, it all seems to earthy i think and just the smell can make me recoil and shudder.
I love a good bourbon though. Wild Turkey 101 is a favourite, or Makers Mark.
JD is popular for a reason too, because its very nice. Especially Gentleman Jack which is deffo worth the extra cash.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've tried - filthy stuff - sickly and chemical tasting. Not a patch on real whisky - or whiskey come to that

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
"good" and "bourbon" are words with no natural affinity ;)
Hahaha, yeah, that seems to be the opinion of many a British man.:)

I agree maybe a bit sweet compared to whisky (i thought technically, bourbon had the 'e') but i don't really see the chemical taste. It just doesn't taste like a peat bog ;)
Some people have an idea that its 'mass produced' and therefore a lesser drink, but theres lots thats 'small batch' and well aged, and loads of Scotch is banged out of the distillery by the tanker load.

Last edited:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Talisker is too sweet for me and despite it being my local distillery, I'd go with the cask strength laphroaig, and add a dash of water. Nothing in my hip flask at the moment as a good dram doesn't keep well in the metal. It's Bunahaven 46º I've in the bat cave at present. £25 a pop from the west end garage in Dingwall ;) Consistently the cheapest whisky outlet in the UK (no vested interests).

I have a bottle of Bunnahabhain on the shelf too. Gorgeous. I didn't get it anywhere cheap but now I know.....

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
"good" and "bourbon" are words with no natural affinity ;)

im sorry but i have to disagree with you there Red !
if you have a look at jim murrays 2013 whisky bible you will see that the number one whisky was - Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye (128.6 proof) and the second best whisky in the world was - William Larue Weller (133.5 proof) both genuine American Bourbon's straight from the good old U S OF A !
In fact the number three was Ballantine's 17 years old which is a blend !
I myself have Ballantine's Finest at the moment which scores 96 out of 100 by Jim Murry which i got from tesco's for the really stupid price of £20.00. P.S the top two were scored 97.5 !

cheers andrew.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matter of taste - I've never yet found one I liked or even would drink if given away free!

Then again - some people buy Lambrini

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
I'm no bourbon connoisseur but I recently tried Woodfords Reserve and man o man I can get used to that! Very nice strong vanilla coming through from the new American oak barrels! Very nice !

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
Northumbrian knows his drink and he knows his music.
Although I come down on the side of bourbon I can appreciate what British Red says because I have not yet found a Scotch that I can get past my lips.

some people buy Lambrini
Only folk I knew who bought lambrini were students or under age drinkers.
Bit like snakebite (yuck)

Ths palate definitely changes as you age.
I used to drink southern comfort or alcopops.
Then pernod.....
Now its port, crabbies or stags breath.
Mind I'm gettin into real ales but its quantity that holds me back there

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE